[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dog Hair & Peach and Peas

  • From: "Liane Fossland" <lfossland@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <marhaven@xxxxxxx>, <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>, <InquestGSD@xxxxxxx>, <cyndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 12:54:24 -0700

Basically that's what mine do. My male is already in full coat again, and
the bitches - don't even mention it. Even the old spayed ones feel they need
to contribute. LOL

  From: Terry Cochran To: marhaven@xxxxxxx Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dog
Hair & Peach and Peas

  I am curious as to where the dogs are in coat rotation around the USA.
    I will start by saying that all of my dogs blew big time in June and are
now on the in grow cycle.
  They should look beautiful in another month. Is this normal for the rest
of the dogs in the PNW and Canada??

    What I do when my dogs start to  blow coat is to cut back their food. I
let them go thin as blowing is a braking down period for both body and coat.
If I over feed at this time the back gets soft and it doesn't help them get
their hair faster, in fact it slows it down. Dr. Morton Goldfarb explained
this to me and it does work.

    Margo does this on her own. As soon as she starts to tuff her coat she
goes off her food. She is butt naked within 1.5 weeks and then she starts
putting her new coat on. In fact by the time I am through stripping her you
can see the pretty black and red coat coming in. Her appetite begins to pick
up shortly after the hair is gone and I increase her food and her exercise.
Margo is 8 years old and can still do 5 miles with the 4 track without
showing signs of being over worked. She will be in the September issue  of
the Review with may of the Oregon dogs. I haven't bred her much but last
year I bred her to Sel. Ch Woodsides the Real Deal and kept a male from that
breeding. She gave me 11 puppies to choose from. Margo is half German lines
and is one fun dog to work with. If I can ever stay in one place long enough
I will show him. I need Ruth to set him up for me so I can take a picture of
him. He is 15 months old now and just beginning to feel good about himself.
Jesse
   reminds him that he is still a puppy every chance he gets. At the cabin
Victor loves to tease Jesse and then he runs to the river and jumps in.
Jesse doesn't do water. ;0)

    The dogs have had so much fun this summer at the cabin. I feel guilty
when I come back to Fairway and they have to do kennel duty. You should see
the look on peoples face when they wonder down our road and are met by 4
barking dogs. Too funny!! Izzy will be 14 next month and still walks 1.2
mikes every other day. She climbs the 13 stairs that takes her to our
bedroom. It is hard for her but she has so much heart she does it anyway. I
am going to miss her so much when she is gone.  Terry whois back at Fairway
for 10 days.

    From: Liane Fossland
  ARE YOU KIDDING? MY DOG KNOWS WHEN IT'S MOST CRUCIAL TO HAVE HAIR ON HER =
  BODY - THAT'S WHY SHE SHEDS IT !    Lee - who owns a rat instead of a dog.

  Yeah......my dog is an EXPERT enre EXASPERATION!!!
  I think that should be an E.E.E. Award!!!
  She is in full coat now......but starting to get a loose 'tuft' now and
then.
  Her plan is to be the "black rat" at the National!! Totally hairless with
a string for a tail!!!
  ........Hmmmmmm wonder if "Pidgeon Peas" will help coat.....

  Carolyn marhaven@jps,net