[ SHOWGSD-L ] Do what you will, with what you want, when you can

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 18:57:45 EST

In a message dated 1/6/05 8:16:22 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx writes:
I am one  of those breeders who think that the Import could be of use to our
American bloodlines but that's my opinion.

I so seldom post, but I wanted to respond to what Fred had to say.

There are many good dogs to breed to. There are dogs in all parts of the
world that could be used to improve the breed. There are good dogs in Indiana,
Iowa, California and Germany.  The problem is to know what you are getting.
When you get a dog from another country, the chances are you have no idea what
you are getting. Sure, you can see what it looks like, but few of us, except
maybe Paul and The Famous Linda Battistoni, can tell what the genetic makeup
of  the animal is.

So many buy a German female that looks like our American style, and then  are
amazed that the puppies do not follow form. Many times when we breed to dogs
we know, the puppies are not what we expected.

Not much from Ben looked like him, but his puppies looked a type, and there
were two types. That is what the genotype does.

It is foolish to claim that breeding to German dogs is better than breeding
to American dogs. It is what you get or what is there that is important. I
don't  advocate breeding to dogs you have not seen in pedigrees for five
generations,  or which you have not seen the parents back a few generations.
But, that
is just  me.

There is a very valid reason I don't have children, and it is related to  the
above.

Breed to those animals that you feel will improve the breed.   Everything
else is just for fun, and not the purpose of our sport. If you  believe you
will
improve the breed by breeding to a dog from German, Atlanta, or  Ada, do it.
You will quickly find out if you are wrong.

As for the List, we should limit our posts, and I have done so by seldom
posting. This year I may do a little more, but then again, I am so old, I may
not remember that I was going to do that.

Evan
_Asgard German Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together