[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Do Genes Shape Our Soci

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: rrlyloak@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 20:27:01 -0400 (EDT)

Bravo, Rob, great post.

Ileana

In a message dated 10/28/2013 2:37:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rrlyloak@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Well,  here I go wading into the midst of the current controversy
concerning the  proposal to change the German Shepherd Dog breed standard. As I
stand
from  afar and glaze upon the situation, it is necessary to ask what
considerations  or perspectives need to be evaluated.  There appear to be at
least
three  considerations (the first two seem obvious and the third hidden,
perhaps): the  genetic perspective, the sociological perspective and the
political  perspective.

I sit at my desk with the past three issues of German  Shepherd Dog Review
open. Each has an article (at least two are articles and  I’m not sure if
the middle one is an article or paid ad).

Some Thoughts  on Whites, Long Coats and the Standard. By James Moses—
August 2013.
Color  Genetics 101…What is a White German Shepherd? Submitted by the White
German  Shepherd Federation—September 2013.
Sometimes, It’s Just Black and White…By  Randy Darnell—October 2013.

I provide no answers, I am simply asking  questions. Let me look at the
three considerations (there may obviously be  more, but I will look at three):

The Genetic Perspective—What are the  genetic considerations? Why were
whites eliminated from the Standard in the  first place? Was it in any way to
remove the white’s genetic influence on the  breed? Or simply in ignorance,
as
was suggested in one of the above articles?  Is the white genetically
superior, equal or inferior to the colors which are  acceptable according to
the
standard? What will be the effect genetically if  the DQ is removed from the
standard? Will whites then be shown and possibly  win in the AKC
conformation ring? Will this bring about an advent in the  breeding of whites?
And
eventually increase their genetics into the breeding  pool?

The Sociological Perspective—Is there a connection between  removing the
white DQ and increasing membership and show entries? Will the  removal of the
white DQ address any of these issues and improve our current  state of
affairs? Do we need new members so badly that we must change the  standard to
get
them? How many new members will be gained by changing the  standard? If
this is truly a consideration, how else might we become more  inclusive? How
else might our Club make it more palatable for others to join?  What other
areas of the standard might we adjust? Will our show entries  increase? And by
how many? Would this have saved any of our regional clubs  which have folded
over the past ten years? If so, how? (As an aside, studies  generally show
that lessening standards of an organization drives people away  and is not
truly an incentive to gain new members.)

The Political  Perspective— The first question I must ask is what or who
are the driving  force(s) for such change? And what are the overt and covert
motives for  driving this issue? Is there a political agenda involved? What
benefit(s) does  the passing of this proposal bring to the driving force(s)?
If the driving  force is the Parent Club, can the Board or someone please
enunciate clearly  what could be lost or gained through this?

These are simply questions,  not answers. Perhaps answering the above
mentioned questions will bring me and  you closer to resolving the issue. Or
maybe not. My sense is that answering  the sociological or political questions
will not address the real issue.   Hopefully, we are not merely “masking”
the real issues at hand.

All the  best!
Rob Lyle