[ SHOWGSD-L ] Disturbing news

  • From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:26:20 -0400

Well, I hate having to post this news but believe it is important for all of us
to know and realize the possible consequences. A German Shepherd broke out of
his crate aboard a flight and then proceeded to break into other crates aboard
the same flight.  This dog killed 2 rare Amazon Parrots and 3 other dogs. After
landing,the cargo live animal handling crew pushed a new crate into the live
animal bin and were able to maneuver the Shepherd into the new crate.  The
Shepherd dragged the carcass of one of the dead dogs into the new crate with
him.  I am holding my breath that the media does not get hold of this horrible
news.
This is the second incident in the last few weeks.  Please be aware that many
of the crates being manufactured today and advertised in the pet shops,
Wal-Mart etc, as "Airline Approved" are in fact not safe.  When we ship Large
dogs for our clients we are  insisting on a certain brand of crate.  Sometimes
we have to order these crates.  Also, we use tie wraps on the corners of the
crates.  We are sending a 135 lbs Rottie to Trinidad and are reinforcing the
crate in several ways.  Some of the new cheaper crates are prone to turning
over if the dog even slightly shifts his weight.   I am fearful that many of
the airlines will embargo certain breeds of dogs including Shepherds.  Many
airlines will not take a pit bull if it is over 6 months of age. ,Crates MUST
BE SECURE.Don't go by the "airline approved" tag on the crate.
Also coming under scrutiny are dogs that are "trained" for protection.  I have
viewed the photos from the inside of an aircraft live animal bin where a dog
escaped from his crate and literally demolished the inside of the aircraft.  He
chewed through cables effecting the communication system of the aircraft.
 I would not have believed a 55 lbs pit bull could destroy the inside of this
bin like he did.  If I can forward pictures of this I will.  Why in the world
would a Shepherd act in such a manner?  It's disheartening.
Nancy Harper
Pet Air Carrier, LLC