[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Denver area Vet Help Needed

  • From: "Norma Ramey" <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Gsdbroon@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:38:07 -0600

UP FRONT I will say I'M SORRY to jump in here.  It's just that I feel a bit
differently than a lot of folks about intact every day family pets. However,
want to make it clear that I understand there are 2 sides to each story.
#1 This Vet may have a good reason for neutering this dog!!
#2 This owner may have a good reason for this dog staying intact!!

You can say this is not my business, but you've posted it in public so I
thought I'd ask a couple questions if you don't mind          TNX BIG TIME!!
Let me qualify a bit tho -- I have 2 sons who became Drs. one a Ped the
other
a GenPrac, a daughter in law who is a nurse and a GrandDaughter about to be
one AND a GrandDaughter who IS a Vet Tech right there in Colorado. SHE
ATTENDED the well known Vet Tech. school there in Denver.  You could
have this owner contact them for Vet care and be assisting in education too.
In the doggie part of me I've done so much with so many for so long, I know
a few tidbits about some stuff concerning the subject of iintactness..
Ok

You mention a "well bred 18 wk. old GR"    Is this guy "really" quality
enough for #1Showing #2 Breeding just because he is well bred?  Also, if his
owner were a Breeder, as such, I'd think there'd be a lot more "study" to
the
intact vs neuter bit before Vet check-up time.  Not to say the Vet is super
smart himself on this now, don't get me wrong.  I've known so many folks
just say they'd like "a pup off of him" not realizing there is a 50%
additional
side to it - the bitch - plus other biggies to consider.  Yes, a matter of
his
good nature and being at the Clinic with the owner is great - Hey - this IS
a GR and he should be loyal and loving.

I never never bred at all unless I had -- 2 positive orders for puppies --
#3There may never be a bitch bred to this guy, however, his development etc.
could easily be in a more calm manner neutered.   There would be less
escaping
to find that wonderful in-season bitch he smells even 1 mile away.   He'd
just be
what he's supposed to be, a family member rather than possibly a
non-producing
stud dog.     Experience and study tells us that we should do what we can to
be
sure the animal is able to perform what we want -- as in daily living
easily.
    (my latest moniker should be    Nosey   Norma   I guess)   SP.?