[ SHOWGSD-L ] Dangers of dry ice

  • From: Susan Madlung <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ShowGSD-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 19:03:23 -0700

From: http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mdryice.html
Also use care when evaporating large quantities of Dry Ice. CO2 is heavier
than air and will pile up near the ground, so if you have any babies or pets
crawling around down there, they'll suffocate.
From:http://www.ilpi.com/msds/ref/carbondioxide.html
While such pressures are no problem for pressure-tested gas cylinders or
fire extinguishers, ordinary containers (soda bottles, paint thinner cans,
Thermos containers etc.) can not handle such pressures and will explode and
create shrapnel if solid carbon dioxide is sealed inside them. Putting solid
carbon dioxide into any sort of closed container (glass, plastic, metal
etc.) is exceedingly dangerous and is likely to result in severe personal
injury or death.

and
http://www.anu.edu.au/BoZo/policy_docs/Protocol_for_using_dry_ice.pdf#search=%22dangers%20of%20dry%20ice%22
Read #3

and from: http://www.medicalrefrigeration.com/polyfoam/medref_safe.html
VENTILATION
Normal air is 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen and only 0.035% Carbon Dioxide. If
the concentration of carbon dioxide in the air rises above 0.5%, carbon
dioxide can become dangerous. Smaller concentrations can cause quicker
breathing but is otherwise not harmful. If Dry Ice has been in a closed
auto, van, room, or walk-in, for more than 10 minutes, open doors and allow
adequate ventilation before entering. Leave area containing Dry Ice if you
start to pant and breath quickly or your fingernails or lips start to turn
blue. This is the sign that you have breathed in too much CO2 and not enough
oxygen. Dry Ice CO2 is heavier than air and will accumulate in low spaces.
Do not enter closed storage areas that have or have had Dry Ice before
airing out completely.

need I add more? I would expect that dry ice evaporating in a cargo hold
could be quite dangerous - 10# of dry ice could certainly raise the CO2
concentrations way past excessive levels.. it lays heavy close to the
floor.. do they stack the dogs up high?

Sue Madlung - Shadowacre Reg'd German Shepherds
http://www.shadowacre.com