[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dangerous Dog Bill - email addresses

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <whereis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:59:18 -0800

Thank you so much Valerie...

It's that kind of information that will make our job a tad bit easier.

If we can inundate the committee members with our opposing view before the
bill is heard...it will go a long way towards helping us defeat it...

The email addresses are great but let me add another thought. The Senators
that are pro 1790 will juz delete the con emails and not keep a tally. That
is why it is so important to give them a paper trail that is not as easily
dismissed. A fax is the most impactive example as it shows you care enough
to sit down, write your letter, and then get it into their hands ASAP. That
said...it is always wise to follow the fax up with the letter sent via snail
mail.

This is probably the most insidious Bill we have seen for some time. It's
actually Breed Specific and covers several breeds.

In your emails, faxes, and letters...make sure you stress the fact that many
of the "Dangerous Breeds" are working everyday to protect the citizens of
Illinois. Do they want a Police, SAR, or Therapy dog wear a color coded
"Dangerous Dog" tag as it searches for drugs, a crook, or a missing child?

Stress education as the most positive and palatable alternative to BSL. It
would be wonderful to get a Senator's attention and have them sponsor
responsible pet owner legislation. Have you all ever noticed the ARO's have
never offered such a Bill? The reason is simple...they don't want pets to
exist...period. I have been in Committee and had the Fund For Animals
lobbyist decry such an alternative to more punitive and intrusive bills. I'm
currently working with ex CA Congressman turned Lobbyist Herb Wesson to
introduce that exact type of legislation. They syllibus already exists and
is being taught in AZ as I type. Do any of you know if such a program is
being taught anywhere else?

Ladies & Gentlemen...Start Your Engines (fax machines and Word Processors).

Thanks in advance....

Paul