[ SHOWGSD-L ] DPCA ALert>>>TEXAS<>SB1845, Mandatory sterilization..and more bills introduced

  • From: stormy435 <stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 12:47:35 -0700

While we are seeing major legislative assaults on our rights to own, breed,
crop and dock our dogs across the country, I would at the moment like to draw
your attention to the bills in Texas.

One, SB1845, in particular, which was introduced this past week, is of
particular concern in that it is Mandatory Spay/Neuter and Sect. 830.002 gives
little if any exemption.  The bill requires s/n at 6 mo. unless:
 4. that is a purebred animal displayed at a competitive exhibition to
determine how well it physically conforms to an established breed standard or
5. for which the owner holds a permit issued under Section 830.003.
(that permit will cost $300 per dog.)

How many of us actually put our 6 mo. puppies in the ring?  And technically to
avoid the fines, the dog would have to be being shown PRIOR to 6 mo. to qualify
and we don't have classes for puppies under 6 months.  The bill's
sponsors obviously have not sought input from the purebred dog community.  Also
this does not exempt working/sport dogs.  The entire bill is only one page and
may be viewed at this link:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/81R/billtext/html/SB01845I.htm
and this is the companion bill - Texas HB4277 - MSN
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess?R&Bill=HB4277

We can however urge you to support HB1046 regarding animal cruelty:
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/Text.aspx?LegSess?R&Bill=HB1046

HB 458 relates to Limit Laws.  Standard of care rather than numbers should be
the criteria for the number of pets allowed in a residential neighborhood.  If
limits were higher or standard of care considered, more animals would likely be
adopted and shelter populations reduced.
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/Text.aspx?LegSess?R&Bill=HB458

HB 3180 and SB 1910 are labeled "puppy mill bills" and relate to breeder
licensing.  These are very extensive bills and there are far too many gray
areas to cover in this update.  We do however concur with the Texas RPOA
opinion that these bills should be defeated.
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/Text.aspx?LegSess?R&Bill=HB3180
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/81R/billtext/pdf/SB01910I.pdf

Please review these bills and respond appropriately to the Legislators
considering these bills.  Contact information may be found on the Texas
Legislative website:
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/
Also, share this message with friends and family living in Texas.

Dana Johnson
DPCA Legislative Director
--
Stormy Hope