[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DOES A CONVICTED ANIMAL ABUSER LIVE IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD?

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 14:23:39 -0400

Hi Stormy:  per your question:

where is the know fact that they are 5 times more likely or even 3 times more
likely... from where is this know fact generated?

Because I was quoting from the article that I did this story from which was in
yesterdays Parade magazine from the newspaper, here is what it said:  "We're
trying to reduce risk," says Stephan Otto of the Animal Legal Defense Fund,
noting that animal abusers are five times more likely to commit violent crimes
against humans and four times more likely to commit property crimes than those
without a history of violence against animals.  You can check out the article
at:  Parade.com/abuse

Referring to your paragraph about the Dept. of Justice questioning the worth of
sex offenders registry and that it doesn't stop sex offenses.  I would
definitely agree with that.  It won't stop them.  It's just there for you and
me to know where they live.  As I said in my article I personally (and this is
just my opinion) don't believe that rehabilitation helps them either.  As I
also said, keep them locked up.  I personally know of some animal
abusers...........and each and everyone of them were child abusers as
well....without exception!

And as far as you asking about why not have a registry for other criminals that
walk among us?  We're never truly going to know who walks past us each day on
the streets or in the malls.  However, we certainly are more aware of the
criminals in this country because of all the media coverage in the newspapers,
and television exposure to their horrific crimes.  That said, there's not too
much exposure when it comes to animal cruelty.

I don't think that there is a definitive way to keep track of those that have
criminal intentions.  However, I do believe that it's important for us to be
aware of those around us and what to look for.  Barbara