[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DM DNA test - question

  • From: Louise Cauthen <cauthenl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ginialtman@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 08:23:28 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for this information Ginny.
My dogs were all tested negative for the GSD DM Flash Test already [some
individually and some as part of the studies] - so - are you saying that these
dogs *could* be now tested with the *new* DM test for another *type* of DM?
Has this other *type* of DM [the Corgi and or Boxer type?] been found /
diagnosed / proved to *be* in GSDs?
Thanks for keeping up with all of this for us!  It can be confusing!
Louise
From: "Peter Cacioppo"  <petercacioppo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: OFA's new DM  Gene  Marker Test
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 09:01:46 -0700

Previous e-mail  FROM REBECCA:
From: "Rebecca Little" <pbgs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  DM DNA test from OFA
Has anyone on the list used the DM test from OFA? I  just ordered one and
will do the rest of my gang over time(its $65 per  test). Just wondering
what
everyone thought of the test.
Rebecca  Little

My ANSWER:
Yes, used it on Cab and got a great result for  him.

Eagle Hill's Cabernet Sauvignon
( "Cab" or "Cabernet")AKC  DN11042402.
Cab has his permanent OFA Hip and Elbow Certification: Hips  Good and Elbows
Normal, received on June 1, 2007:  GS-76443G24M-PI  (micro-chip);
GS-EL20512M24-PI.  Cab also received a Normal/Normal on  his two OFA DM
markers, received March 31, 2009; GS-DM132/46M-PI.

I ran Cab through the OFA test for DM (this is the University of
Missouri's
test)  Remember they test something different than the  University of
Florida
researchers apparently. It is said that the  University of Missouri people
think DM is related to the L. Gehrig disease,  and the University of Florida
is saying GSDM is like the human Multiple  Sclerosis ("MS") disease.
Anyway, the OFA test is showing Cab has two  normal genes. (I believe it is
like "coats", where a puppy gets one gene  from the sire and one gene
from
the dam.  Thus, a puppy could be a  "carrier" on DM by getting  one
defective
gene from the dam and one  normal gene from the sire.....or the puppy could
be at risk, by getting two  defective genes, one from each parent.... or two
normal genes, like  Cab).  Thus a sire like Cab can only give a normal gene
when he is  bred.  If the dam also has two normal genes, then each puppy
resulting  can only have two normal genes.

You order the DM testing kit from the  OFA site.
It is a simple swab from inside of the mouth and results came  back in only
3
weeks.

Peter  Cacioppo
www.EagleHillGroup.net
Eagle Hill Wines and Vineyards, Moraga,  CA

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220572844x1201387506/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?scf8072&hmpgIDb&bcdAprilfooter420NO62)

is Copyrighted 2008.  All material remains the property of the original

MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION
OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND
IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.