[ SHOWGSD-L ] Crocodile Hunter's Passing

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 15:12:38 -0400

I just got off the telephone with one of my dearest friends in the
breed.  She's a quiet sort of lady who doesn't post too often, but she
did concerning this subject.  She posted to the List to let us know that
she and her husband knew Steve Irwin personally.  She comes from
Australia but lives here in the states once again.  A finer lady and
gentleman you couldn't want to know than Lorraine and Marc Cohen.  Some
might know Lorraine by a couple of the dogs she's owned (My Sel. Kharu
and last years Sel Annie).  Marc is a veterinarian here and was also in
Australia.  Lorraine told me that yesterday was a day from hell for them
when they received the news of their friends passing.  They were in
shock.  Lorraine told me what a fine person Steve and his wife Terri
were.  They both went to one another's homes and had dinner together and
shared animal stories.  She said that he was more of a quiet, layed back
sort of a person (which is not how he came across on tv) and Terri was
the marketer.  They wanted  Marc to come and work at the zoo with them
to be the veterinarian there.  They loved their children and their
animals.  They owned a 1/2 dog, 1/2 dingo combination and Lorraine said
the animal was a delight.  Lorraine told me anytime that Steve would be
around the wild animals, of course he'd have the spotters there and was
also hooked up to a microphone in his ears to alert him of everything.
The man might have been more daring than most of us, but he wasn't a
stupid man.

My point in writing this e-mail is that I have seen more regard and
condolences for the loss of peoples dogs on this List than I have for
the loss of human life.  What's up with that?  Yeah, it's good to have
your opinions, but sometimes those opinions are better served if you
keep them to yourself.  We've had the passing of a breeder last week,
the open discussion of another top dog person and her illness, and now
this man Steve.  Is there not anyone that is free from some's wrath?
You might not have liked this man (although most of us never even met
him and we pass judgment), but there happens to be someone who did know
him personally and has said so, and yet the slaughter of someone's
reputation continues.  Please respect other peoples feelings in this
sensitive time.  Lorraine and Marc are extremely stressed by this
terrible news and then to see their friend torn apart on this List is
just too much.  Please remember how in times of stress and trials and
tribulations that you too turn for comfort and understanding.  I
remember someone writing about the pain they were experiencing last year
and so many of us reached out to you too.  Please show the same
respect.  It seems that our dogs know how to mourn the loss of their
loved ones better than we do......with quiet dignity.  So if you don't
have anything nice to say, keep it bottled up and if you feel like you
just might burst with it..............go take a Xanax!  Barbara

--
Barbara J. Galasso
CHIEFTAINS GERMAN SHEPHERDS