[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Critques

  • From: BJBuie@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 17:23:55 EST

In a message dated 12/8/06 4:03:11 PM Central Standard Time,
Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> BETTY; ONE PROBLEM.. MANY YEARS AGO, CRITIQUES WERE PUBLISHED IN FULL IN THE
> GSDCA REVIEW. I RECALL WHERE I LISTED CRITIQUES OF THE FIRST FOUR PLACINGS
> IN EACH CLASS, ETC.. SOME OF THE OTHER JUDGES DID THE SAME. THEN WE WERE ALL
> NOTIFIED TO KEEP OUR CRITIQUES SHORT AND ONLY SEND THE TOP WINNERS.
> THAT REALLY TOOK THE VALUE OUT OF IT...AS, IN THE PRIOR CRITIQUES, ONE COULD
> SAY MY FIRST PLACE DOG WAS SO AND SO...MY SECOND PLACE WAS NOT AS GOOD IN
> CROUP, FOR EXAMPLE) ETC.. AND YOU COULD CRITIQUE WITHOUT CALLING SPECIFIC
> ATTENTION  TO A PARTICULAR DOG'S SHORT-COMINGS..BUT YOU GOT THE POINT
> ACROSS..
> . YOU COULD ALSO EXPLAIN THAT PERHAPS YOU HAD TOP QUALITY COMPETITION IN ONE
> CLASS, AND NOT IN ANOTHER AND YOU COULD MENTION, FOR INSTANCE IN NOVICE YOU
> HAD 20 AND IN AMERICAN BRED YOU HAD 30, WHATEVER, SO PEOPLE COULD UNDERSTAND
> WHAT KIND OF COMPETITION THE DOG WHO WON, COMPETED AGAINST.
>
>  I DON'T KNOW WHY THE CRITIQUES WERE SHORTENED BY COMMAND, BUT I BELIEVE IT
> HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE COST OF PUTTING OUT THE REVIEW, HOW MANY PAGES,
> ETC.  I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WAS A SHAME, BECAUSE IT WAS VERY EDUCATIONAL AND
> OFTEN
> ENLIGHTENING TO SEE THE CRITIQUE ON A PARTICULAR DOG OR BITCH THAT YOU HAD
> JUDGED AND THEN READ ANOTHER JUDGE'S CRITIQUE ON THE SAME ONE.
> WE ALL KNOW THEY HAVE DAYS WHEN THEY MAY NOT BE 'ON'..BUT THE GENERAL
> OVER-ALL STRUCTURAL CRITIQUE WAS INVALUABLE FOR COMPARISON, AND DISCUSSION...
> JMO BARB WILLIAMS

require, critiques of the first through fourth and comments regarding Winners,
BOB, etc.  They are published in full in their breed magazines. I am sure
these breed magazines face financial considerations as does the Review, yet
they
find a way to publish in full.

enter under incompetent judges and maybe they will quit receiving assignments.
Come on, many of us have been around long enough to get a handle on what
certain judges are doing.  And remember, I am only talking specialty shows.
Are
there honestly that many of us that after having been around for a while don't
have an idea which judges to enter under?  Some "newbies" may enter under "the
wrong judges" early in their show careers, but they aren't likely to be
seriously affected by one or two bad critiques, especially if there are an
equal
number of good critiques to balance the bad ones for all to read.

Now, again, I say, if other breeds can do it why do Shepherd people feel the
need to always find a reason they can't do what other breeds routinely do.
Surely our dogs are as worthy and our people as bright.

Betty Johnson
Tintagel