[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Courage and brightness of our German Shepherd Dogs

  • From: "anthony amoroso" <triplea7@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:43:43 -0700

  It is nice to hear about the many stories of courage and intelligence of our
fabulous breed. And it is good to
  remind all of us often that we not only have one of the most beautiful breeds
but one of the smartest of all of them. Being a bit tired of all the vitriolic
comments about ballots and club politics clean your years out with this story.

  Years ago when I served as the So. California Representative for Guide Dogs
for the Blind at San Rafael,CA.
  We were always being told of so many incredible stories about the innate
intelligence of our breed.

  The one that I remember vividly is the one about one about one of our Lawyer
graduates who was working  late at his office in a high rise building in San
Francisco. It was past 9pm  when he left his office . Going down a hall way as
he did for many years on the 16 floor to the elevator. Then when he was in
front of the elevator controls and selecting the lobby a pull and grab contest
began with him and his guide. The dog refusing to obey his commands to proceed
and tugging the blind Lawyer back. Fortunately, the lawyers shouting commands
attracted a worker who came running and advised him not to take a step forward
in that they were working on the particular elevator he was use to using. The
door was wide open with yellow construction tape across the opening.

  When the Lawyer realized what danger he was in and what his German Shepherd
Dog Guide temper tantrum was all about he fell to his knees in tears hugging
obviously one bright GSD.

  Tony Amoroso