[ SHOWGSD-L ] Connie

  • From: Doris E <irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:37:14 -0700

Back in the early seventies,  Ann Mesdag nominated me for ROM sires
chair.  Bea Kay had died suddenly, and there was nobody who wanted to
take it on.

I accepted, and was absolutely floored by the boxes and boxes of data
that were shipped to me.  I had absolutely no idea of what I was doing.
So what did I do?  I called Connie, who did ROM dams.  She walked me
through everything, and I will always remember how much she loved the
ROM program, and how she stressed its importance to me. We were
co-chairs until her death, and then Maryellen Kish took over the dams.
She had assisted Connie for a long time.

Connie was what they mean when they speak of a "pillar of the Breed".
She was never too busy to help an amateur.  I remember when she traveled
to the Monks of New Skete to assist them in selecting some nice dams for
their breeding program.  Nobody heard about this.  She did it because
she cared for the dogs.

John was also a pillar. I will always remember him in the ring with
Reno.  What a pair!  I have always thought that Reno and Tucker Hill's
Angelique would have been the perfect Grand Victor and Victrix.  It
would sure have been a crowd-pleaser. Everyone loved these two dogs, and
both went Select a whole lot of times.  I believe Angelique was seven
times a Select bitch.

Wonderful memories of wonderful people.  Doris Estabrook