[ SHOWGSD-L ] Concrete Kennel Runs

  • From: Ginialtman@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 20:47:12 EDT

I visited Helen's kennel when I was doing my own and incorporated many of
her ideas. My runs were 30 feet and I think I did 4 inches and if  I were to do
it over, I would have a little steeper pitch  maybe 6 inches  for 30 feet. So
that might be 2 inches for every 10 feet that you are  planning. The cement
gutter that I put in was outside of the fencing for  the dogs and was about a
foot wide and about that deep as well.  I had  them taper the gutter to one end
with about a six inch gradient from the high  end to the low end so the liquid
could drain out of the gutter and into a 2 foot  diameter by 5 feet deep hole
filled with large rocks in the bottom and river  rocks on top so it would
blend with the shrubs  around  it.  I also had them create a "lip" on both
sides
of the gutter  so that I could put cedar 2x4's in two foot panels so I could
take them out and  clean out the gutter --but otherwise the cedar was even with
the sidewalk on the  outside of the run

Ginny Altman
"Please let me be as kind,  intelligent, and wonderful as my dog thinks I
am."

In a message dated 7/17/2008 6:49:21 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Subject:  Re: Concrete kennel runs?

In a message dated 7/17/2008 10:22:59  A.M. Central Daylight Time,
BonJenShepherds@xxxxxxx writes:

I  am redoing most of my runs in concrete (all but 2  for  youngsters).
Anyway, what is the best pitch to put in the  concrete for  drainage?  Also
could
those with concrete runs please  let  me in on anything I should know  before
diving into this big   project.

I had a 3 inch high cement curbing between each run,so  no  running water
between runs .  My slope from kennel exit  opening into  run down to the end
of the
20 ft run was a four inch  gradually drop. I had  cement gutter at the end of
all 12 runs I had  the cement work done all at one  time . The curbing
enclosed
the  bottom of the  posts and bottom of  chain link fencing  that  separated
the runs  I had them finished  with a slightly rough  finish ,so no slipping
and
sliding. Very secure   Lasted for 40  yrs,until I closed my kennel 8 yrs ago
.
Helen  Miller  Fisher

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.