[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Cold Question

  • From: DestinoGS1@xxxxxxx
  • To: ducksavsfan@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 17:41:37 EST

Living in Georgia is a little different than other states.  All of my  dogs
are in at night.  My kennel dogs are in a very insulated building, I  drop the
guillotine doors at night and they must stay in the  building .  The inside
temperature of the building is 50  degrees.  During the day, I put the kennel
dogs out into paddocks to run  and exercise.  If it is very cold, below
freezing, I limit their time out  in the paddocks.  I don't want them lying
down and
resting in cold weather  with no shelter.  My house dogs are outside less, but
they live in 68  degrees in the Winter.  As you can probably figure out, I
live in sweat  pants and sweat shirts all Winter long so that my dogs are
comfortable.  It will be interesting to see what others on the list  think
about the
temperatures.

Thirty years ago, I lived in Northern Jersey and had a wooden kennel
building.  I had dog houses in the inside runs stuffed full of hay for the
dogs to ge
t into and sleep.

Mary

In a message dated 12/4/2008 5:11:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ducksavsfan@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Here's  an interesting question for the masses...

Today is very cold in  the Metro Denver in Colorado.  I remember in the past
a vet told me  you shouldn't leave a dog of any breed or size out for long
periods in weather  colder than 20 degrees as they can suffer from frostbite
and
such just like  people.  As a result, I left the dogs inside when I went to
work because  the high today came at 1:00 am and that was 22 degrees.  I really
don't  like leaving them inside though, they don't have the same "freedom"
they have  in their runs.

The question is this, how cold do you all feel is  too cold for a GSD?  This
may be opinion based, I think our breed is  considered "hard" so does that
make them tougher than average in cold  weather?  Obviously the arctic breeds
should be able to be out in super  cold, and thin haired breeds shouldn't be
out
long even at 30 degrees.   At this point, I'm only concerned about my dogs.

Christina Klahn
Illusion GSDs
ducksavsfan@xxxxxxxxx

POST  is Copyrighted 2008.  All material remains the property of the original
kind  are permitted without prior permission of the original author AND of the

FORBIDDEN,
AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW.  VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org