[ SHOWGSD-L ] Coat color & length

  • From: "Norma Ramey" <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:37:23 -0500

I'll never forget seeing the picture in the original, very expensive and maybe
not available now - of Max's information about these great GSDs.  There
was a picture of a solid black named ROLAND.     Years ago, in Florida,
a man had a brother or half brother to PHANTOM.  He named his kennel
after ROLAND because of the blacks.  His dog was ICON and the kennel
was RS  (there were 2 other letters but the first meant ROLAND STANDARD.
My foundation bitch was from that kennel.  Now we're talking late 60s or
early 70s when I did this.    Later, still loving the blacks, I purchased a
JJ son (black and red) and sent that bitch, or it could have been a daughter
of hers, so long ago (Senior moments) to N.J. to be bred to - NOT JJ but his
Dad --- a really fine guy, to establish the black and good pigment I've always
had.
I do not really know the true reason he did not allow white, since, as I've
pointed out, white does blend in with the sheepies!!   Also, as I've seen,
the wolf color (sables) and the dark black and tan etc. may allow the
predators to be more careful in their approaches because of this. It's very
interesting and I'm enjoying this thread very much.   Long coats are OK
in the German competition.   That, I think at this time, is an only in America
thingy.   ENJOY AND DO CONTINUE IT IS GOOD TO LEARN!  Norma no L