[ SHOWGSD-L ] Cheyenne's Big Adventure (Long)

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:31:12 -0500

Happy Superbowl Day!
A few weeks ago I asked the List for suggestions for train travel with dogs.?
Well, we nixed that idea and am glad we did.? The family had the train trip
from H*** going home.? Toilets and AC not working.? Anyway, we decided to fly
Cheyenne to Washington.?

Here is where it gets good.? Cheyenne was to fly as a Service dog in the cabin
with me.? So, Friday morning, we head out to Burbank Airport.? I am hoping that
the socializing and training I have done with this, almost, 10mos old puppy is
going to be enough.? Just to be safe, I threw a Vari-kennel in the truck.?
Since we had previously taken the train to Burbank Airport to listen to the
planes, I knew she would be ok there.? She was.? We went through Security and
her collars went off.? First test, Cheyenne had to do a sit, stay, while I went
through the scanner.? Then, she came through and had to be patted down by the
TSA guy.? She passed that with flying colors.? What I failed to realize is that
most of the?gates at Burbank don't have walkways.? You have to go outside and
go up stairs or a ramp.? Ooops, didn't practice that one.? Cheyenne was great
going up the ramp until the last level.? She looked down and the brakes went
on.? A very nice lady behind me, took my carry-on ba
 g so I could get Cheyenne safely boarded.? The plane ride was uneventful.? She
was a perfect angel, unlike the?baby that screamed the whole flight.??Upon
landing, the plane took a giant hop.? Cheyenne sat up and gave me a nasty look,
like it was my fault, LOL!

Another?unexpected moment was the bullet train to the main terminal.??She still
isn't all that happy with trains.? We made a bunch of friends on the flight so
we all boarded the train as a group.? That really works.??I will say that when
the announcement comes on that says to hold on to a handrail, the MEAN it.?
That train accelerates faster than a Porche.? Geesh!

The rest of the afternoon was made up of visiting various people, including the
apartment manager and the family's bosses and co-workers.? We took a time out
to walk in a park for a much break for both me and Cheyenne.? Then, it was off
to dinner at Olive Garden with the family.? Steve (Dad) had?made prior
arrangements for Cheyenne to dine with us.? Yikes!? We had done outdoor cafe's
but a real restaurant on a busy Friday night.? A GINORMOUS test.? Well, the
biggest problem we had was the employees wanting to give her food and me
saying?no to them and to her, LOL!? They sent a To Go bag for her.?

We got Cheyenne back to the apartment and settled in for the night and I went
to my hotel.? This was the last test.??Would?she settle down?? How would the
morning routine work out?? How would Xavier handle this whole new experience.?
Autistic children really need routine and we blew his routine right out of the
water.?I had Cheyenne booked on the flight back, just in case.?

I needn't have worried.? Everything went so well that Xavier's parents forgot
to give him his morning meds for almost 2 hours.? Xavier was calm, happy and
quite content.??Steve had to handle a work crisis so we got a late start to the
day.? We went to a beautiful park with a lake.? (All the parks in WA seem
beautiful)? There were tons of dogs and joggers and ducks, geese and critters.?
Cheyenne took it all in and this part of our training really paid off.?
She?knows she's working and ignores the other dogs.? She?wants Xavier in her
line of sight at all times and refuses to go forward if he is behind her.? She
seems to know that?she is there for him.??

Anyway, it was off to lunch at Red Robin.? Cheyenne joined us and this?time?the
employees were too busy to pay her much attention.? She also seemed to know
this was a good time for a nap and to recharge.? She slept the entire time even
when another little boy, at another table, tried to give her his corn dog,
LOL!??

When I left for the airport that afternoon, I was proud of Cheyenne and
confident that this was a perfect fit.? The family is dedicated to making this
work.? They have?experience with dogs and Steve's Mom has a Guide dog, so they
know the?training and work involved in having a successful service
dog.??Cheyenne will even get to compete in agility with Xavier.? How cool is
that???

Sorry this was so long but?I am soooooo proud of my girl, I just had to share.?
This is one of the reasons I love this breed so much :-)

Laura???