[ SHOWGSD-L ] Celebration of a life

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 17:43:09 -0400 (EDT)

In 1972 I "came into" GSD's and soon found 2 incredible people who mentored
 me and probably, other than family, could be said to have had the most
profound  influence on my life for over 40 years.

Ann Brown, passed in 1994 leaving the love of her life behind, Don Brown of
 Sybarite German Shepherds. For those of you that met and if were fortunate
 enough to really get to know Don, you would be struck but his totally
unassuming  nature, devotion to wife, dogs and friends (took him 1 minute to
call you a  friend), profound intelligence  and genuine  hospitality.

For many years so many of us gathered weekly to work our dogs at Don and
Ann's...he would video tape all the goings on and in good nature, we would go
 back into the house at dark for a refreshment and view the tapes and
critique each others dog, and each other! By the way, Betty Conod used  to say
you could get 4 hours of hard labour out of Don's coffee! It was  always
welcoming and in good spirit and the bonds of a very close dog family  were
formed.  Betty and Donna Conod, Dawn Campbell, Joe Balga, Andy  Tesiorowski,
Bernie Heine,  Deb Atkinson later on along with Derek Comeau,  Bruce and Carrie
Smith, Helma Fiut and Dennis Rzan, Karl Nemecek. Sometimes Eric  and Cathy
Holder would drive down along with Paul and Monica Hudson.  Alan  and Leslie
Woods would make it when they could, Walter and Janice  Creighton,  Morris
Bartucci..............a long list.

We all supported each other and rejoiced in each others successes and
comforted the defeats.  We  were family.

Today the world lost one of the kindness most sincere, loyal  people I
have ever known, Don Brown.

He has spent many years in a nursing home but kept his spirit always.   His
wall in front of him was covered in pictures of his GSD's which always
brought smiles. We frequently would talk of his "greats"...Blucher, Chally,
Kite, Nuffy.............the list goes on and on.   And he loved to  hear the
gossip when we talked.......Joe Balga would call from his room so we  could
visit frequently.

I could go on and on with the wonderful memories I have of this man.   Feel
so lost at the moment.

He truly was one of my closest friends.
So raise a glass today with warm regards to Don please.  Cheers my  friend!

Don Brown - June 23, 1923 - June 1, 2014.

Molly