[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Cavalier King Charles - new health problem?

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LuAnn Kennedy <brendangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 21:33:31 -0500

If you're speaking of SM (syringomyloma or something like that) it has
been around for donkey's years and only recently identified and given a
real name.  It used to be called "the scratching disease."  As usual,
the Cavalier people have freaked out about it..it is, like the heart
problem (MVD, specifically) in all lines, in every country, and again,
like hearts, the mode of inheritance is unknown.
    SM occurs in humans, too...and is often controllable by diet.
That's not the case in Cavaliers.  Boston Terriers and many other breeds
have SM but nobody freaks out like the Cavalier people.
    Also this topic is not a GSD topic...as opposed to suggesting (or
not) small breeds for Randy to consider.
Peggyy