[ SHOWGSD-L ] Cavalier King Charles Spaniels

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:22:55 -0500

I think before anyone gets too involved in Cavaliers, you ought to do a
bit of research into the health problems.  Most people know the breed
has bad hearts (as a breed, all over the world...and if anyone tells you
they don't have any history of bad hearts, they are lying and they know
it), but they have so many other problems it is a wonder there is anyone
brave enough to breed them anymore.  New problems are constantly arising
in the breed...the latest breeding protocol suggests that nothing be
bred before the age of 3 and only after an MRI has been done.  The breed
has all the usual dog problems as well...HD, slipping patellas, eye
problems, etc.
    I have a waiting list for my puppies that is going on 3 years of
waiting now...and I may or may not ever breed another litter.
There are enough terrible things and sad things that happen in life that
I decided I might not be able to handle breeding Cavaliers any longer.
    Having said that, I will say that they are the sweetest, dearest,
funniest little dogs I've ever known...just not really too bright.
If you can stand them not being brainy like a Corgi or Shepherd or
Poodle (all of which I've owned and lived with), but quite intelligent
at what they want to be smart at....then you'll understand why people
keep breeding them in spite of the health problems.  Also, while some of
them live to be teenagers, most are ready to die by 9 or 10.
    And oh yeah, the average price for a pet Cavalier on a spay-neuter
contract (which is almost the only way you'll get one from a reputable
show breeder) is $2500.  That's nationwide...and yes, I said pet.  Just
try getting a really good one away from a breeder...unless they are
willing to co-own it, and run its life with you paying the bills.
Peggy