[ SHOWGSD-L ] Carmen Battaglia

  • From: JMoses0924@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 23:52:02 EDT

"In the end, it is not the words of our enemies that we remember, but the
silence of our friends"

           - Martin Luther King
Sheree read that quotation to me a few weeks ago, and it has bothered  me.
Many of you have asked why I joined the list at this time...I don't  usually
get involved in club politics, and I generally ignore gossip, but it has
become
apparent to me in recent weeks that the "list," instead of being the
edcuational tool that it was intended to be, has become instead a gossip
column,
frequently full of innuendo, misinformation and personal vendettas.

For decades, Carmen Battaglia's name has been known throughtout the entire
the entire dog fancy as being synonomous with German Shepherds.  For many
years, he has also been indentified with the American Kennel Club.  He has
been a
tireless advocate for our breed, for our members, and for dogs in  general.
Any German Shepherd person who doesn't realize what tremendous  benefit we
have derived from having him as our delegate and our representativeto  the dog
world at large, doesn't really have a clue.

There has been an enormous amount of information pertaining to Carmen,
Hunte, the AKC, it's financing, CARS, Petland etc. disseminated on this list,
much
of which was taken out-of-context or presented with misleading  half-truths.
For example;  Yes, Carmen and Steve Gladstone, in their  positions as members
of the Board of Directors of the American Kennel Club, did  go to the Hunte
Corporation, but not for personal gain or promotion, but at the  behest of the
American Kennel Club to discuss the DNA and microchipping  programs.  Yes,
Carmen and Andrew Hunte were both seated on the same row in  the VIP box at
Eukanuba, however, Hunte was there as the invited guest of the  Iams
Corporation,
the show's sponsor, and at no time was he seated with Carmen,  as was suggested
on this list.  Andrew Hunte's decision to join the parent  club was his own.
Carmen had nothing to do with that decision.  Any  director of the parent
club who can say that Carmen attempted to influence the  outcome of the vote on
Hunte's membership, or to "intimidate" as was stated on  this list, any board
member into voting for Hunte, should step forward and tell  me and the
membership, exactly what Carmen did to influence that decision.   Why is it
that every
time Hunte's name is mentioned, Carmen is apparently to  blame?  If Hunte had
elected to purchase a Cardigan Welsh Corgi for  a houspet, rather than a
German Shepherd, would Steve Gladstone be facing  the same hate-campaign?

I understand that Andrew Hunte and all of the issues associated with him  are
very troubling and emotional. What I do not understand is why this list was
used as a way to attack Carmen Battaglia as a man.  It went far beyond his
association with Hunte, in his position as an AKC director investigating
possibilities with Large-Volume Breeder registration, and the DNA/microchipping

programs.  It was suggested that Carmen's decisions were influenced by
financial
gain.  His abilities as a judge were attacked and he was attacked  as an
individual.  Someone even made the statement on this list that Carmen  gave bad
advice to the parent club regarding the Daytona incident thus costing  the
parent club $2500.00...this is another perfect example of why I am  writing.
At
the time of the incident, which I am unfortunately intimately  involved with,
Carmen was not a director of the parent club, but he was a menber  of the Board
of Directors of the American Kennel Club.  As such, and  knowing he could be
called on as a director of the AKC to decide the case if it  got that far, he
did not offer any advice to the parent club at the time except  to tell them to
tell the truth.  When it did reach AKC, Carmen once again  went to bat for
us, and the fine was only $2500.00, and we were ablr to keep our  National.
The
Brittany club, under almost identical circumstances, paid a  $10,000.00 fine.
 I don't think our club's association with Carmen harmed  us in this
instance, rather he was an asset.

Regarding the infamous letter, Carmen made a serious mistake, but it is one
I could have made myself.  Every person running for the BOD of the AKC send
out a packet with their credentials.  It is customary to include a letter  of
endorsement from the delegate's club.  Carmen had asked Lew for a letter  of
endorsement , and had in fact provided the draft for Lew's signature.   Lew had
verbally agreed and told Carmen it was on it's way.  The deadline  for mailing
out the packets in time for the delegate body to receive them before  they
left for the meeting was very close.  Carmen knew Lew had sent the  letter, so
he signed Lew's name and included it in the packet, expecting to have  the
original in a day or two.  He should have waited, but I understand he  needed
get the packets mailed and knowing it was on it's way, I could have  made the
same mistake myself.  By the time Lew informed Carmen that he  didn't feel he
could make the endorsement and told Carmen no to use the letter,  the packets
had already been mailed.  A mistake, yes, but probably not a  mortal sin.  As
far as our club not endorsing Carmen as our delegate, I  personally can find no
REAL reason why any member of the GSDCA should think we  should not support
Carmen as our delegate.  No, I am not trying to say that  Carmen is a perfect
person.  None of us are.

Carmen's record of service to this club, this breed, and dogs in general,
speaks for itself.  Carmen has accomplished more for dogs, without any
personal
gain, that many of the rest of us put together.  It amazes me that  we are so
unappreciative of his efforts over the years.  Some people on  this list seem
to have taken perverse enjoyment in thinking they got him  defeated in the
AKC election, but in fact it was his enthusiastic endorsement of  the Working
Dog Sport and his refusal to support PAWS that played a much larger  role in
his
defeat.  Carmen made a number of enemies in his long pursuit of  WDS...do any
of you think that the Chihuahua club of America or the Pomeranian  club, or
the Poodle club, or the Finnish Spitz club, etc. think that in our  litigious
society, having Schutzhund-type events at AKC shows is a good  idea?  Do any of
you have any inkling of how hard Carmen lobbied, how many  favors he asked,
how many compromises he made to accomplish this for us?   Carmen has always
believed strongly that ours is a multi-facted breed.  He  has visited the
facilities at Lackland and has always embraced the working  aspect of our
breed.  The
tragedy of 911 and it's aftermath and the lack of  availability of suitable
working dogs, brought home to him the necessity of  having something like WDS
to encourage us as breeders to strive harder to have  truly "working" dogs.
Carmen might well have lost this election  anyway.  It is shameful to me that
the actions of our club and the  dissension we presented, were the nails in the
coffin....and personally   hurtful to a man who has always supported us and
our breed.

Any of you who have been in dogs for a while, know that success brings all
sorts of cheap shots.  Being visible makes you vulnerable.  Sometimes  it seems
that success = envy = dislike....not right, but the way it seems to be  for
some people.  Once people get a really good dog, they usually realize  that the
dog game isn't nearly as political as they might have been led to
believe...the good dogs usually win.  That's not to say that experience or  a
good
handler or a good mentor doesn't help a lot...it does.  Knowing  which judges
would
probably like which dogs, having them trained, keeping them  in good
condition, presenting them in the style that particular judge wants to
see...these
things all matter.  But they are things we can all learn and do  with
experience
and a little luck. Tearing down people who have worked hard to  be successful
is not the way to go about it.

Some of the newer, or older, but still fair-minded people on the list who
listen to these chronic, negative posts...should ask what are these people's
credentials, what have they accomplished in German Shepherd Dogs, what have
they
 done for German Shepherd Dogs.  I don't believe that a couple of the more
vocal, negative posters even have a German Shepherd as a housepet, yet they
evidently consider themselves authorities on every subject relating to this
breed.

To borrow a line from Lew, "Let's encourage, not discourage."  We are  all
human, we all make mistakes, we all learn from what went wrong yesterday and
try to do a better job tomorrow.  It would be nice if the people on this  list
would not be so quick to rush judgment and would give people the benefit of
the doubt, instead of assuming the worst and speculating without the whole
picture.  A man is the sum of all his parts, not just a single act.   Carmen's
personal integrity, abilities and devotion to this breed have proven  over and
over again through the years.  Let's give him the benefit of the  doubt and be
grateful to have someone who cares so much about our breed and the  sport of
purebred dogs in our corner.

James Moses