[ SHOWGSD-L ] CO... "puppymill" bill

  • From: stormy435 <stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 12:54:31 -0800

The Agriculture Committee will meet this Wednesday, Feb. 4th at 1:30pm in the
Legislative Services Building (LBS) at 200 E. 14th Ave in room A on the first
floor (southwest corner of 14th and Sherman).

HSUS has done massive mailings to try to pack the room with supporters. It
would be great if we could have a goodly showing of breeders and fanciers.

It is very easy to write to your representative about this bill. Go to the
tinyurl, enter your information, choose what tallking points you want to use
and they're automatically pasted into a letter to your very own representative
which the site identifies for you.  Please take the time to write.

Remember, once ANY number is selected as the total number of animals permitted,
that number can be changed downward very easily, with the public largely
unaware.

A Colorado dog club member

Here is the update from Linda Hart:

HSUS is trying to pass what they call a 'PuppyMill' bill in Colorado,
but it is actually an anti-breeding bill. The first hearing for this
bill is this Wednesday. We want to KILL it in that committee and send
HSUS packing! It is the same bill being introduced around the country.
The bill would limit breeders to no more than 25 intact dogs, require
special veterinary certification for breeding dogs yearly, and allow
inspectors access 24/7 to homes or facilities that are licensed.
NOTHING in this bill will improve upon the existing PACFA laws for
licensing of facilities already in place in Colorado for the past 14
years. It is a darn good law and has been very effective The Colorado
Federation of Dog Clubs has been preparing to fight this bill since
December when we found out it was being introduced. Colorado residents, please
go to the NAIA Trust CapWiz link at

http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/issues/alert/?alertid566421&type=ST&show_alert=1

http://tinyurl.com/c737zl

to send a letter to your representatives opposing this bill. We need
residents only at this time to write so the representatives get the
message their voters do not like this bill. Later, if the bill goes
further we will need a massive mailing from everyone.

Thanks!!

Linda Hart

Secretary

Colorado Federation of Dog Clubs