[ SHOWGSD-L ] Building a Better Dog Show

  • From: LauraEG@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:39:18 EDT

If you ever get an opportunity, I would like to recommend that anyone that
is or is planning to be a show secretary attend the AKC's Seminar "Building a
Better Dog Show".  This was one of the most informative seminars I have  ever
attended.  It should be required for all Show Secretaries.

It is easy to read the information, but until it is presented, with the
AKC's point of view, you will not get the full understanding that the written
words are meant to convey.

Dania Karloff and I attended one held in Raleigh last Sunday, and I must  say
it was a real eye opener for me.  We were both amazed, Dania is a  seasoned
show secretary, and I am very new.  The seminar costs $45, and you  bring home
priceless information.  We were each given a very nice 3-Ring  Binder with all
the AKC Rules, contacts for the AKC Events Department, copies of  all AKC
forms, and the most recent updated memos for clubs.  We also  received a copy
of
the Practical Canine Anatomy by Claudia Waller Orlandi,  PhD.

Also, starting in 2009, we as specialty clubs will be required to meet
Eligibility Requirements to Hold Future Dog Shows.  A quick outline:
1.  An Independent AKC Sanctioned Match
2.  AKC Educational Match
3.  An AKC Canine Good Citizen Test
4.  An Active Public Education Program
5.  Other Educational or Outreach Programs

Other activities will probably be accepted, clubs will have to let AKC know
what activities they have planned, and will most likely be approved and count
towards education programs.  They are really pushing education for the
public.

Laura Gilbert
Chesapeake VA
GSDCA Office