[ SHOWGSD-L ] Bruc. Tests

  • From: "Terra Fairburn" <terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pam Stoesser" <pkstoesser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 21:33:04 -0600

To answer your questions Pam, anyone I breed my bitches too, have requested a
bruc/and (some ask for a culture and others do not), for breeding prior to
breeding.  The funny thing about that is, I even have the vet put it in writing
and I give a copy to stud owner.  I have heard that NOT everyone does this but
I do.  And I ALWAYS question if this is standard practice for everyone who the
stud breeds too.  I do believe that there are many problems out there due to
mycroplasm.  I was told recently by several big breeders that they only do AI's
and trancervicals now because of this.  The vet I spoke of does not want to
bother with the cultures so I go to the Iowa vet and they are very
accommodating.  They have their own lab and do not send them out.
I have not heard of anyone with bruc. in my area.  I have heard of some people
who have mycroplasm in both their stud and bitches.  I have also heard that
many large kennels have had it.  (I stay way clear of those properties).  But I
am sure not everyone is honest about their situation.
I asked my Iowa vet what can be done about it and it seems like it is a rather
simple procedure to give your bitches the antibiotic prior to breeding to
ensure they are not infected.  I am lucky as I have a very small kennel and it
is rather inexpensive to do it.

But the first vet I spoke of does not do anything to help with this, but my
other vet is more than accommodating to assisting with the required
medications.

Here are some recent costs for a variety of procedures:

target progesterone test        58.00
artificial insemination            75.00
semen  evaluation                35.00
OFA ax-ray and fee Hip         175.90
OFA x-ray elbows                91.00
thyroid profile w/antibody      88.00