[ SHOWGSD-L ] Britain uses hate law to ban animal rights campaigner

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 12:37:27 EDT

FWD from another list:
Subject: Britain uses hate law to ban animal rights campaigner

 E-mail message
 Britain uses hate law to ban animal rights campaigner
 Donald MacLeod
 Wednesday August 31, 2005
 Guardian Unlimited
 Charles Clarke, the home secretary, has used the government's crackdown
 on preachers of hate to ban an American professor who speaks for the
 Animal Liberation Front.
 Steven Best, professor of philosophy at the University of Texas at El
 Paso, had intended to travel to the UK to take part in an event to
 celebrate the closure of a farm breeding guinea pigs for research.
 The closure of the Newchurch Farm business following years of harassment
 and intimidation, including the theft of a grandmother's ashes from the
 local cemetery, was widely condemned by scientists and politicians last
 week.
 In the wake of the London bombings of July 7, the Home Office announced
 it would not allow people to enter the UK who "foment, justify or
 glorify terrorist violence in furtherance of particular beliefs; seek to
 provoke others to terrorist acts; [or] foment other serious criminal
 activity or seek to provoke others to serious criminal acts."
 In July Dr Best spoke at an international animal rights conference in
 England. At that conference, he was quoted by the Daily Telegraph as
 saying: "We are not terrorists, but we are a threat. We are a threat
 both economically and philosophically. Our power is not in the right to
 vote but the power to stop production. We will break the law and destroy
 property until we win."
 According to the newspaper, he added that activists did not want to
 "reform" vivisectionists but to "wipe them off the face of the earth".
 The Home Office cited these words in a letter to Dr Best last week
 banning him from entering the UK. Dr Best, who claims his words have
 been taken out of context, said he was not surprised by the ban. "It was
 only a matter of time, especially after July 7. The climate in Britain
 is totally unbelievable. It's very fascist. It's becoming a police
 state," he told the Chronicle of Higher Education.
 Guardian Unlimited ø Guardian Newspapers Limited 2005

www.FairhopeGSD.com