[ SHOWGSD-L ] Breeds banned across the USA.........

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 21:04:17 -0400

Subject: [CDOC_Unite] Breeds Banned throughout USA

This is an interesting piece that I received about banned or restricted
breeds. The information comes from the Responsible Dog Owners of the Western
States (RDOWS) which has just updated the list of breeds that have been
banned or restricted in the United States.

All you dog lovers out there may just be in for a shock. BSL - or
breed-specific legislation and breed discrimination- isn't just for pitbulls
or Rottweilers anymore.

The RDOWS has tracked a list of 75 breeds of dogs that have been banned or
restricted - yep - that's Seventy-five. That's 75!

Just who or what is behind this breed ban frenzy?

Is your dog on the list of banned or restricted breeds?

Here's the deal........ .......

Media Frenzy Equals Breed Bans

But before we get to the list - the question I have is WHY is there a list
to begin with?

The answer? Your local paper, TV or radio station is - by publishing,
posting or airing innacurate reports than use inflammatory language
("vicious" Rottweiler, "marauding" pitbulls, etc.)

Your local TV station is deliberately showing UNRELATED footage of dogfights
supplied by the Humane Society of the United States, which seems to be to be
pitching "aggressive breed" stories to network affiliates in Las Vegas, New
Yorkand other markets.  Dog fighting is a felony in all 50 states and is a
totally separate issue from dog-on-human aggression. Yet - we have the HSUS
deliberately mixing visual imagery and video of underground dogfights with
the issue of dangerous dogs or dog bite prevention AND providing this
footage to your local TV station, Nancy Grace, etc.  This is not
journalisim - this is sensationalism. The question you all need to ask is
WHY is HSUS pushing this footage out to media outlets????  Across the
country - and indeed around the world - cities, counties, and local town
councils are busy banning or restricting breeds instead of punishing
irresponsible behavior.

Here's what is happening:

Breed bans - an outright ban on owning a specific breed of dog
Breed-specific sterilization - owners are forced to spay or neuter
animal
Breed-specific measures that include mandatory registration in a database
similar to a sex offender database, forced microchipping,
forced containment or signage
Breed-specific insurance requirements - forces owners to obtain the
unobtainable "vicious" breed insurance - in reality this forces
owners to surrender dogs or move
Weight or size restrictions - banning dogs over an arbitrarily determined
weight or size - as in Fairfield, Iowa, where all dogs over
100 lbs are banned (St. Bernard, Irish Wolfhound, Great Dane, etc.)
BTW - your insurance company is happily waiting in the background, too -
waiting to exclude coverage of your dog, waiting to drop your
policy, or waiting to outrageously raise your rates.

List of 75 Banned or Restricted Dogs

HOW Are Dogs Banned Or Restricted?

OK, dog lovers, here's what you need to know about this list. The dogs on
the list have been banned or restricted by one of TWO ways:

By Name: A local township has name the specific breed breed of dog in a
local ordinance OR
By Description: A local township has included that breed by description in
an ordinance - such ordinances may read "any dog
matching the the characteristics of being short-coated, with bulldog-type
appearances - or having an appearance that includes a short,
muscular type build, flat head, or being of a bulldog type"....... .....
etc.

WHERE Are Dogs Banned Or Restricted?

This list means that SOMEWHERE in the US, dogs on this list have been either
banned or have had restrictions placed on owning such
dogs, such as mandatory spay/neuter 0r mandatory microchipping, etc.
For anyone reading this from OUTSIDE the U.S., the dogs listed below are not
NOT UNIFORMLY banned/restricted across the entire U.S.
This means that the breeds listed below are banned or restricted in
different places around the U.S., and that individual states,
cities, counties or towns all make their own LOCAL LAWS - and those laws
differ according to individual communities.

Also - it's important to note that the list includes even MIXES of these
breeds.

Questions?

If you have any questions about why these breeds are on the list, please
contact Responsible Dog Owners Of The Western States
(RDOWS) .
So - without further ado, courtesy of the RDOWS, here is the list of 75 -
count 'em - SEVENTY FIVE - banned or restricted
breeds ............. .........

1. AIREDALE TERRIER
2. AKBASH
3. AKITA
4. ALAPAHA BLUE BLOOD BULLDOG
5. ALASKAN MALAMUTE
6. ALSATIAN SHEPHERD
7. AMERICAN BULLDOG
8. AMERICAN HUSKY
9. AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER
10. AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER
11. AMERICAN WOLFDOG
12. ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD
13. ARIKARA DOG
14. AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG
15. AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD
16. BELGIAN MALINOIS
17. BELGIAN SHEEPDOG
18. BELGIAN TURVUREN
19. BLUE HEELER
20. BOERBUL
21. BORZOI
22. BOSTON TERRIER
23. BOUVIER DES FLANDRES
24. BOXER
25. BULLDOG

26. BULL TERRIER
27. BULL MASTIFF
28. CANE CORSO
29. CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOG
30. CAUCASIAN SHEPHERD
31. CHINESE SHAR PEI
32. CHOW-CHOW
33. COLORADODOG
34. DOBERMAN PINSCHER
35. DOGO DE ARGENTINO
36. DOGUE DE BORDEAUX
37. ENGLISH MASTIFFS
38. ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIEL
39. ESKIMO DOG
40. ESTRELA MOUNTAIN DOG
41. FILA BRASILIERO
42. FOX TERRIER
43. FRENCH BULLDOG
44. GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG
45. GOLDEN RETRIEVER
46. GREENLANDHUSKY
47. GREAT DANE
48.. GREAT PYRANEES
49. ITALIAN MASTIFF
50. KANGAL DOG
51. KEESHOND
52. KOMONDOR
53. KOTEZEBUE HUSKY
54. KUVAZ
55. LABRADOR RETRIEVER
56. LEONBERGER
57. MASTIFF
58. NEOPOLITAN MASTIFF
59. NEWFOUNDLAND
60. OTTERHOUND

61. PRESA DE CANARIO
62. PRESA DE MALLORQUIN
63. PUG
64. ROTTWEILER
65. SAARLOOS WOLFHOND
66. SAINT BERNARD
67. SAMOYED
68. SCOTTISH DEERHOUND
69. SIBERIAN HUSKY
70. SPANISH MASTIFF
71. STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER
72. TIMBER SHEPHERD
73. TOSA INU
74. TUNDRA SHEPHERD
75. WOLF SPITZ

How's that for scary? You're wide awake now, I bet.

What's a dog owner to do? For starters - BEFORE you move, buy or rent a
home, wherever you are - be sure to check with the local city
hall - NOT THE REALTOR - to find out about local dog laws and if any
breed-specific measures are in place or are being considered.

But don't take city hall's word, either. Ask for a COPY of the local
ordinance, and then ask your local city council rep if they support
breed-specific laws or measures.

Is YOUR Dog At Risk?

3 Step Plan T0 Stop Breed Bans

So, dog lovers - now that you know that much of dogdom is on the line, what
are you going do do about it?

I say it's time to make the donuts. It's time for dog lovers of every dog,
every breed, shape or size to come together to stop this
Dog Holocaust.

We need to stand together, pull together - for united we stand, divided we
fall - And if we fall, we may see the very dogs we love
disappear forever from the face of the earth.