[ SHOWGSD-L ] Brags from Oklahoma, and thoughts on All-Breeds.....

  • From: "windmillgsd@xxxxxxxx" <windmillgsd@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:56:52 GMT

We drove up to the Claremore, OK shows this past weekend, and came home with 2
more points on Kona (Windmill's Paradise City).  Kona was WB/BOW on Saturday
under Ms. Teddy McDowell.  Unfortunately, the major broke, so Kona now needs
just a major to finish.  All of Kona's points have been from Bred-By, so
hopefully she will be my second Bred-By Champion!  Kona's littermate Lily (CH
Windmill's Sweet Child O Mine) was BOS both days.  Kona and Lily are by CH
Kenlyn's Coach HiCliff Kaleef and out of Windmill's Every Breath You take.

Logan showed Maia (Wndmlls Every Rose Has Its Thorn) in Juniors, and was 4th
out of 10 on Saturday under Houston Clark and 1st out of 8 under Teddy McDowell
on Sunday, for his 6th win towards Westminster.  We are so proud of Logan!

Now for my all-breed vs. specialty rant!  LOL!

I have been showing for MANY years, and have shown at both all-breeds and
specialties.  I do prefer the all-breeds, as I feel that I have a better shot
at the win in that arena.  Too often at the specialties, you KNOW who is coming
and who is going to win.  It always seems to be the same people....yes, they
can be showing nice dogs, but not always.  I see a LOT of dogs with major
faults (faults that I personally would not want to have in one of my dogs)
winning at specialties, just because they fly like the wind!  I had a lady come
up to me after judging this past Saturday.  She has working breeds, and is a
judge applying for GSDs.  She told me how nice it was to see GSDs that could
move correctly and were still clean coming and going.  I think that we as
breeders need to breed correctly-moving dogs, instead of breeding solely for
the allmighty sidegait.  I guess you could say that I prefer a more "all-breed
type" GSD, although I believe that there shouldn't be types based on the arena
you are showing in.  I like a dog that can float rather than charge around the
ring, and is angulated enough to move correctly while still being clean coming
and going.  I don't like over-angulated dogs...especially ones that are
locked-hocked and toe-dragging.  I train my dogs to free stack, but they can
still move out on the end of a 6 foot lead.  Yes, I still double the dogs that
Ashley shows (VERY subtly!!), but when I show in Bred-By, there is no one to
double off of so they BETTER show well all by themselves!

Yes, not ALL all-breed judges are decent judges of GSDs.  That is just
something we have to live with.....but of course, not all specialty judges are
decent judges!  It goes both ways.  I have found that a lot of all-breed judges
are looking for the total package, instead of focusing on sidegait only.  They
want a dog that LOOKS like a GSD, and can move--they want to be able to
actually SEE the dogs gait!

I don't enter every all-breed show that is within traveling distance for me.  I
do my homework and enter under the judges that I think I will stand a chance
under.  It is too expensive of a sport nowadays to be throwing my money away
(and that is what I think will happen at the Specialties in my case!).  I did
drive 9 hours to an all-breed show to show under 2 judges that I think
understand our breed pretty well.  The judge that my bitch Lily finished under
has a breed where sidegait is pretty important also, but he also wanted a
pretty dog that was typey.  This judge has actually been to our National
several times, and many specialties.  He mentored under some of our specialty
judges.  This is the type of judge we need to get our all-breed clubs to hire!

This past weekend, Ms. McDowell waited until the ring next to ours was
finished, then asked the super if we could open up the ring to have a
group-sized ring for us to use, because she said that we are a movement breed!
I applaud judges like this because they actually understand our breed's needs
and how they should be judged!  She also said that although we need to have a
big ring to move in, it wasn't a race and she actually wanted to be able to SEE
the dogs moving and using the whole ring.  There are plenty of decent all-breed
judges around...we just need to do our homework and support those that do a
good job!

I also show 2 other breeds, and have many friends with other breeds, so I enjoy
the all-breed atmosphere.  I love watching the Groups...seeing so many lovely
dogs of all breeds.  You can learn quite a lot by staying and watching the show!

--Heather (Windmill GSDs, President--GSDC of Dallas)
Proud mom of Ashley...2002 AND 2008 GSDCA Best Junior, 6 time winner of the
Robert Hamilton Award; Holly...2008 Number 1 Aussie Jr; and Logan...2010 Euk
qualified and current #1 GSD Junior!
http://www.windmillgermanshepherds.com

Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4bbb67f173221025a7st04vuc