[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Bracket Formula ~ problems

  • From: Hickoryhill <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx, dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 19:20:32 -0700

There is an assumption that if you linebreed, you are actually linebreeding, if
that makes sense, often times you are not, and that is why brackett's theory
only works if you are "genetically" linebreeding. My observations and
experience with linebreeding is that it works best if you linebreed on a
dominant animal, that is a good producer, and when I say good producer, I mean
a dog or bitch that is dominant for producing his/her traits no matter what
lines they are bred to. Please do not equate "numbers" of champions produced"
with being a dominant producer, numbers simply mean there were enough progeny
shown that finished. Numbers are NOT a testimonial to dominance. Brackett knew
this so when the "Brackett" award was created, the essence of the award is to
honor those breeders that have created a discernible "style" of dog
repetitively, so discernible in fact, that you can recognize what lines the dog
is from BEFORE looking at the catalog!!!  A breeder
 who can create a discernible style of dog understands the art of knowing how
to actually linebreed!  Since we can't see genotype, then have to rely to some
degree on pheynotype. I will use my own dog for example.  GV Bull was fairly
dominant, if I were going to linebreed on Bull, I would choose a granddaughter
that looked the most like him thus hopefully increasing my chances of TRULY
linebreeding on him genetically.  On the flip side, if I selected a
granddaughter that looked like her dam, but not Bull, then there was chance
that genetically I would not be actually linebreeding at all because
genetically the two animals would possibly not be that similar. What it boils
down to is  when you look at a pedigree many times on PAPER it looks like a
linebreeding, but genetically it may not be a linebreeding at all!!! Christine

 Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Bracket Formula ~ problems
 To: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx, dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Date: Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 8:37 PM

 YEPPERS!!   All
 depends on the quality of the animals utilized, how
 they complement each other...and the animals in
 the pedigree....and
 MOST important....the
 LACK OF SERIOUS PROBLEMS in both parents and
 pedigree!

 Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 www.marhaven.com

 From: dmarc-noreply@freelists.orgSubject:
 [ SHOWGSD-L ] Bracket Formula

 Michelle
 Graham _vicisheps@charter.net_
 (mailto:vicisheps@xxxxxxxxxxx)

 writes;
 HI...OK I am
 thinking about doing a breeding based on Bracket
 Formula...however it would be going twice the
 2/3 formula...both on
 bitch side and on
 sires...is that too close &/or would I be defeating

 the purpose of doing it in the first
 place...just curious if anyone had
 done
 it before and would do it again.Thanks
 Michelle
 ----------------------------------
 I answer;
 The things you have
 to remember about these formulas is that they are  a
 tool for the toolchest not the answer to
 everything.  And that it is
 important
 you use these formulas on dogs known to you for maximum
 success.

 One formula I use
 is the X Chromosome factor or Motherlines.  I am  very
 happy so far using this as a good tool.
 There is a lot more to it but If you are
 interested here is a starter
 course on
 the use of motherlines.
 http://www.westwindgsps.com/motherlines.htm

 Lissa
 soilentgrn@xxxxxxx

 POST is Copyrighted 2014.  All material
 remains the property of the original author and of GSD
 Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of any kind
 are permitted without prior permission of the original
 author AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 Each Author is responsible
 for the content of his/her post.  This group and its
 administrators are not responsible for the comments or
 opinions expressed in any post.

 ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING,
 REPRODUCTION OR USE IN ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH
 APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION OF ALL
 PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY
 FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS
 PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.

 For assistance, please contact the List
 Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

http://showgsd.org/mail.html