[ SHOWGSD-L ] Bo's at the Bridge

  • From: "arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx" <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:33:33 GMT

Three years ago October, Marjorie Golant posted on the list about a 10 year old
WGSD who was scheduled to be put down at a Shelter in South Florida.  His human
father died and his mother was put into a nursing home in NY.  The family
boarded Bo at a vet's office for several months and when they couldn't find him
a home put him in the shelter where he stayed several more months.  For some
reason I decided to adopt him and picked him up the day he was scheduled to be
put down.   I've never regretted that decision.
The shelter had some of it wrong, Bo wasn't a WGSD though he might have had a
gene or two, he wasn't 10 years old, and when I first got him he wasn't very
nice.  Within 48 hours of coming into my home he bit all the Hooligans at least
once and mauled my arm.  Thanks to the help of many people, some on this list,
NILIF, and lots of hard work on both our parts, he turned into a wonderful and
loving companion.  I really enjoyed having the opportunity to know him.
Yesterday morning he was wolfing down his breakfast as usual and suddenly he
stopped and he refused to eat the rest of it.  He didn't eat dinner last night.
 This morning he drank the broth from a can of Progresso Vegetable Beef soup
and ate a couple bites of beef, but left everything else.  He showed no
interest in dinner.  He had no other symptoms - no vomiting or anything.  I
knew I was taking him to the vet in the AM but was still watching him closely.
I'd been feeling crappy all day so I decided to go to bed early.  I got ready
for bed and took the Hooligans out to go potty.  At first, Bo couldn't get down
the dog ramp and finally when he got down he collapsed at the bottom.  I put
the other guys away, got dressed and took him to the ER.
The vet said he had cancer of the spleen and wasn't sure if his liver was
involved or not.  He was bleeding internally, had a lot of blood in his
stomach.  She said he probably had between 2 to 6 months to live.  I believe in
quality life versus quantity life and didn't want to put him down if there was
a chance he could live comfortably for the next few months.  They did the
emergency surgery to remove his spleen and check his other organs.  The vet
found his liver was riddled with cancer and put him down on the table (I signed
the euthansia form just in case it was needed).
Rest in peace my sweet Bo Bo, I'll miss your happy little face and waggy tail.
Gayle & the Hooligans!
Ringer-Honey-Kelly-Mac-Slider-Bruiser-Bo
Waiting at the Bridge:
Andy-Abbey-Tasha-Tex-Echo-Yukon-JR-Too-Niki