[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Black -- The word according to Sccotie

  • From: BJBuie@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 17:38:42 EDT

Here are the answers Scootie gave to the questions:
1. To tell a black at birth, you can look at their pads and they will be
almost polished black or a very, very, very dark grey.  However, the ultimate
test
is to look, under good lighting, at the hair around the rectum.  There will
be only black hairs, even two brown hairs is enough to tell that this puppy
will not be a black.

2.  If the puppy is born black and then acquires the brown hairs on
restricted areas that we were discussing earlier, between the toes, under the
tail,
etc. they are still a genetic   black.  In all her years she has only seen two
dogs for sure that never developed any tan hairs.  One was Chuck Kruger's Ch
Schaferhaus Zorii Dr. Zee (Chuck, I hoped I spelled it right, it's coming from
my
foggy ol' memory, didn't take the time to try to look it up :) ) and her
wonderful, (my words, not Scoot's) Ch Caralon's Phantom v.d. Lockenheim.  there
is
currently a bitch of Scootie's breeding, owned by someone else, that may also
not have any tan, however Scootie hasn't examined her lately.  Even the
wonderful Ch Caralon's Icon v.d. Lockenheim had some tan hairs between his toes
and
sprinkled around his pasterns and under his tail as he got a bit older.

Her thoughts on why some of these "genetic" blacks will grow tan hairs and
not others is that the trait to tan is based on how far back in the pedigree
you
have to reach to find the black dog.  With Bernd having a black mother, this
explains some blacks popping up where otherwise might not be expected such
their own Jedi dog, where the black dog was no closer than the 4th generation.

3.  As to the possibility that black faced bi-colours might carry the black
gene.  Her only thoughts are that this might somehow be related to the fact
that a very dark bi-colour may come about from a) combined breeding of "real"
bi-colour dogs or b) a heavy concentration on black/black factored dogs.  She
thinks a good test case will be her Seger dog and my Santana dog when we breed
them. (no, FB, NOT to each other!).  Santana, though he has slightly more tan
on
the legs than Seger, has less, almost no tan on the face than Seger.  We know
their mother carries the black recessive, we don't know that "Scoop," their
sire does, but we will be watching upcoming litters with anticipation.  There
is one solid black bitch on Santana's list, we are only waiting for her hip and
elbow clearances and that will tell us for sure what he carries.

Chuck may be able to weigh in here with some additional information.

Scootie thought the discussion could prove interesting and I can always call
her with more questions.

Betty Johnson
Tintagel
www.Tintagelgsckcs.com