[ SHOWGSD-L ] Bed Dogs-My Story

  • From: Cynthia VanDenBerge <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Show GSD List <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 06:24:17 -0700 (PDT)

I have only read some of the posts on this subject, but I wanted to share my
experiences on allowing dogs on the bed.  As an experienced trainer, one of my
cardinal tenents was never allow a dog to sleep with you.  You open up issues
of dominance, separation anxiety, etc etc.  Well, then along came The Devine
Miss Em.  I got her when she was a wee thing and I worked long hours.  Of
course I kept her crated while I was gone and she was totally perfect in her
crate.  But, I felt so guilty at how much time she was confined that I just
couldn't put her back into her crate when I went to bed. Soooo, I allowed her
to sleep with me right from the start.  She was totally fastidious and never
pushed me around on the bed.  She either sleeps longways like a person or will
kind of "spoon" by curling up in the center of my back. She has been a total
comfort to me.  Living alone, I could fall asleep feeling safer with her in bed
with me.  She has never had any negative issues from being
 allowed in my bed.  I have not seen any dominance issues nor any separation
anxiety, although she is totally my dog and when I have to go out of town, she
will patiently wait for my return, wandering around the house looking out all
of windows.
  I still would not recommend this for most dogs, but it can be OK if handled
properly.  I recently got puppy Lamont and out of respect for Miss Em, he is
not allowed on the bed, ever.  I was concerned that she might have her
'feelings hurt' at the new addition, so the bed is her special place.  Gee, dog
people are really crazy...lol
  Cynthia

Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Yahoo! Small
Business.