[ SHOWGSD-L ] Attn: New People (about Handlers)

  • From: "Helen Franklin" <helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 12:02:36 -0700

(sent previously)
Another lister writes "Handlers don't make the dog better, they make the dog
look better."  Add to that, handlers often handle the better dogs.  I have
heard people complain that they are unable to get a handler.  I GUARANTEE
YOU, even if this is your very first dog show ever...just walk on to the
showground's with a super star and the handlers will be falling out of the
trees to handle your dog.  Further, if you have a great one, they will help
find co-owners to cover the expenses of showing, or make any kind of deal
they can in order to represent that dog.  Handlers do like to win and not
just for their client, but I think it's in their blood as well.
Our breed is difficult to show because of the gaiting involved.  Many people
just can't run around the ring as often as may be required, thus another
reason for a handler.  A friend of mine has her daughter handle and she does
an excellent job.  She also wins and though others might do better, the
quality of the animal carries the day.  It is really expensive to exhibit
and that's one reason for breeding litters, to help cover the expense.  (as
well as breed the next GV).  I personally have recognized handlers and "non"
in the ring as most people know.  What the bottom line is, is that a really
good dog wins most of the time, no matter what, who, how or when!  Having a
dog that places now and then does not mean you have to love it any less.
That dog is out there doing something that we request of it, running around
a ring on a hot or rainy day and deserves to be appreciated and adored.
That has nothing to do with winning!  I smile when I see an owner get down
and praise a dog that placed out of the ribbons upon exiting the ring.  Some
non-winners just grab the leash in a huff and march away.  Our dogs are all
winners in our heart; that's the most import win and it has nothing to do
with handlers.
Helen Franklin