[ SHOWGSD-L ] Are our dogs vain?

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 13:00:11 -0500

Is anybody else's dogs fascinated with looking at themselves in the
mirror?  My Amber loves to look at herself in the mirror.  Does this
mean she's vain?  (Couldn't be due to the fact that her father just went
Grand Victor this year?) because she started doing this right before I
went to the National.  I have a full length mirror in the bathroom that
I bought a little over a month ago.  Well she just loves to follow me in
the bathroom and stand there and look at herself in the mirror.  She
wags her tail at herself, she talks to herself, she spins around and
looks again to see how she looks from all angles.  She's quite taken
with herself, I may add.  She's put quite a few smudges all over it
already.  If I'm behind her, I'll play with her and wave to her, or make
faces at her.  I think she gets a big kick out of me making a total fool
of myself because she turn's to look at me with a quizzical expression
on her face like she's saying "are you all right?"

I remember many years ago breeding to one of Alice Zygmont's (Anton's
GSD) young stud dogs.  I brought a proven bitch to him, but he hadn't
had many breedings before her.  He was a big, very angulated dog, like
most of her stuff was then, and my bitch stood calmly as he did his
thing.  After they were tied, her male realized there was a hugh mirror
leaning up against the wall.  Well he caught a glimpse of himself in it
and became quiet fascinated with himself and forgot about what he was
doing.  Because youth was part of the problem, he decided he wanted to
start playing with the image that was reflected in that mirror.  He
tried to bend his front legs like he was going to go down on the floor
with his rear end up in the air.  He forgot he was tied to my bitch.
Wow........did he ever let out a scream.  Alice was frantic because her
dog was in pain and he was trying to lay down while my bitch was
standing as calm as could be and turning her head around looks at him as
if to say "foolish boy".

And they say their sense of smell is their keenest sense.  I say their
sight isn't so bad either.  LOL,  Barbara Galasso