[ SHOWGSD-L ] Apology?

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: EJDegen@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, chstormdog@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 09:32:22 EST

Yes, an apology.

Not once did Patti mentioned the name of any handler or dog,or owners,  not
even that it was a GSD.  Same as for Peggy yesterday, everyone  assume she
was talking about a GSD with bad temperament, when in fact the dog in
discussion wasn't even in the Herding Group. So I cant see how anyone must be
issued a direct apology.

The discussion had merit, more so because there was no finger pointing,
just real anger at the issue, and yes indirectly at whoever follows this
practices, but in an abstract way, as no name were mentioned, and for that I
have to say Patti was very sensitive.  And she contacted the handler
directly, and  then threw herself into the lions den with a correction and  an
apology.  It takes backbone to face the fire squad, but since we have a
shortage
of people who hold themselves accountable I can see why Patti stands  out.

Thank You Patti for being an adult.

Now, it cant be denied that Patti brought to light an issue that is a sore
point with many.  Drugging is happening, and now many more people are
prepared to deal with a situation like this the right way. Contact the AKC rep
or Super, and let the handler explain and proof to them that it was Flagyl,
or  whatever.

If nothing else, people are going to be more careful about their
medicating, and who knows, maybe a dog or two will be spared from this at times

abusive treatment.

* Ileana  *
Inquest GSD's, Home of :
2 x Sel EX AM CH & Sel CAN CH Karizma's  Cacique of Inquest TC, aka DEXTER
Kaleef's Expensive Date (major pointed) aka  JACKIE

In a message dated 2/17/2011 8:13:53 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
EJDegen@xxxxxxx writes:

Yesterday, on this list, someone implied that a handler was   seen drugging
a dog at the most prestigious all breed show in the  United  States.

Numerous people excitedly jumped on this  like a mob.  They were  so eager
for that poor young handler to  have "done something wrong" and that
gorgeous
bitch to be  "undeserving".  Why?  Are they jealous or just  mean-spirited
or plain evil?  If we wonder why dog shows are decreasing in   popularity,
it's not because a handler gave a dog some Flagyl, it's  because of  nasty
people who assume the worst and then spread vicious  gossip and make
implications
of the worst kind.

Since  the person who originally made these implications hasn't done  it,
I'll tell you what happened.  Because of the changes in water,  etc.,  all
of
the traveling, and many dogs at the show getting loose  stools (and  for
those
of us that were there, it's VERY crowded and  close quarters), the  handler
decided to give the dog some Flagyl  before they had their debut on
national
television.

Now, how about an APOLOGY from those of you who were so eager to  believe
the worst?  Since you had no problem assuming the worst  in writing on this

list, then APOLOGIZE on this list.  ADMIT  you made a mistake and CALL THE
HANDLER AND THE OWNER PERSONALLY AND  APOLOGIZE as well as  post on this
list a
PUBLIC APOLOGY since you  had no problem making public  implications and
suppositions.

When you say "I'm sorry if I upset you", that is NOT an apology.   This  is
what I tell my kids:  An apology does not contain  EXCUSES.  An  apology
should be SINCERE.  An apology should  be written with an "I"  statement,
NEVER
laying blame on the other  person or a situation.  The  person apologizing
must express  HUMILITY AND REMORSE.  When a person  apologizes, they take
FULL
RESPONSIBILITY and ACKNOWLEDGE the HURT AND DAMAGE  that THEY  CAUSED.  An
apology should also include how that person will   change THEIR ways to
make
sure that THEY do not repeat their  behavior.

What is written below is NOT an apology.    If my kids came  to me with
that, I'd tell them to go "try again" and  this time be FACTUAL,  SINCERE,
and
take full responsibility for YOUR  poor decision.

Disgusted,
Julie  Degen

In a message dated 2/16/2011 9:50:45 P.M. Eastern  Standard Time,  writes:
Subject:  Westminster

I was  bothered enough by the entire incident at  Westminster, that I took
it upon
myself to speak with the handler and try  to shed some  light on the entire
situation. I am sorry this was so  upsetting to  so many, but I am glad to
have
followed my instinct and if   nothing else, we are all learning from haste
and
mistakes. If the  handler  and I can get past this, I imagine so can the
rest of
us. I really don't  think anything more needs to be said on the  subject.
Again,
we need to be  careful what we do and how it  looks to others when it comes
to our
dogs  whether it be in  giving them medication or something as simple as a
correction.  Hopefully we can "put this topic to   bed".

POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.