[ SHOWGSD-L ] Announcing a Joint $35,000 Matching Gift to the

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 11:16:04 EDT

This is a VERY worthy effort to protect our dogs' immune systems from
over-vaccination!

Begin forwarded message:

* * * * * * * *Begin Forward* * * * * * * *

Sent: 5/1/2008 10:43:39 A.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: Rabies Fund--$35,000 Matching Gift

Announcing a Joint $35,000 Matching Gift to the
Rabies Challenge Fund

(mailto: <mailto:ledgespringmailto:ledgmailto:lemai>
ledgespring@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jan Rasmusen, author of the
national-award winning book, Scared Poopless: The Straight Scoop on Dog
Care, and
two anonymous dog lovers announce a combined $35,000 matching gift to The
Rabies Challenge Fund. Jan's gift is being made on behalf of her dog,
Chiclet,
in honor of Chiclet's companion, Jiggy, who developed autoimmune liver
disease after a rabies shot.

Jan Rasmusen says, "By helping to fund the Rabies Challenge studies, we
have the chance to help better the lives of, not just hundreds of dogs, or
even
thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of dogs. We can potentially help to

improve the health of every pet dog in America. How exciting is that!"
The anonymous donors add: "We are totally dedicated to the Rabies Challenge
Fund and its mission and are so pleased to be able to support it with this
matching gift of $25,000."

From May 1st to August 31st, for donations of $100 or more, Jan and the
anonymous donors will match $1 of every $2 donated up to $35,000, and Jan
will
send an autographed copy of her book for donations above $500 as well. Also,

Chiclet has enlisted the support of canine movie star, Benji, who says "This

important study is long overdue. I give the Rabies Challenge study four BIG
paws up!"

"Donations from our team of dedicated supporters, like Jan and the anonymous

dog lovers, along with steady grass-roots public contributions have launched

our second year of fund-raising with a bang!" responds Fund Co-Trustee, Dr.
W. Jean Dodds.

Funded by grass-roots donations, the rabies challenge studies began in
November 2007 with the goal of extending the required interval for rabies
boosters
to five, and then seven years. Dr. Ronald Schultz, Chair of the Department
of Pathobiology of the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary
Medicine, is conducting the studies according to USDA vaccine-licensing
standards.
Previous French research on the rabies vaccine demonstrated a minimum of
five
years duration of immunity by challenge. American serological studies showed

a minimum duration of immunity of seven years.

"It is so exciting and important to get support for the Rabies Challenge
Fund from as many dog owners as possible. The very generous combined $35,000

matching gift from Jan Rasmusen and the anonymous donors will go a long way
provide the funding required for these critically important rabies vaccine
studies," comments Dr. Schultz.

Fund founder, Kris L. Christine, says, "We're thrilled about these generous
gifts and Benji's endorsement, which will make a huge difference in helping
us meet our second year's budget for the studies!"

Find more information on the matching $35,000 gift to The Rabies Challenge
Fund at our website designed by Andrea Brin _www.RabiesChalleng Fund at ou
( <http://www.rabieschallengefund.org>
website at _www.Truth4Dogs. websit<http://www.truth4dogs.org/>
http://www.truth4dogs.org) .

* * * * * * * *End Forward* * * * * * * *

Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family
favorites at AOL Food.