[ SHOWGSD-L ] An OFA question

  • From: <kathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GSDCA Showlist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 11:08:56 -0700

With the many breeders on this list I have a question. Long ago, since gone
now. I kept a really nice bitch from a litter I bred to keep my lines going.
At two she OFA'd clean elbows but her hip grade was Mild. Of course I was
heartbroken coming out of OFA stock. But I realize this can happen. In a few
months of that I spayed her. I had so many others saying to X-ray her again
in 6 months to a year & see if you get a Fair, etc. And they didn't want me
to pull her out of the gene pool. Has anyone out there gotten a passing
grade with another X-ray on down the road from a Mild grade? I know some
said they would've still breed her to a Good or Excellent with many OFA's in
the sires background. But I didn't try.

Another question out of curiosity. Getting a border line grade on the hips
with the OFA suggestion of X-raying that dog again in 6 months or so how
many have passed in the next X-ray? Kathy Partch www.JoKaySedona.com

---