[ SHOWGSD-L ] Ahh - I get it!

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ShowGSD-L <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 21:06:13 -0500

It occurs to me that what Carolyn means is that the dog fancy, AKC and
all the clubs, PC and otherwise, and each of us as well, has to become
proactive rather than reactive.  That's how come we are always in a
dither, AFTER bills are introduced.
       What we need to do is lobby for responsible pet ownership...ads
in newspapers, local tv programs (most cable networks offer free time to
put on "programs" locally)...and all the PR we can muster.
    Meet the Breeds days...not just for German Shepherds, but for all
breeds...we should take our dogs with us everywhere we can ...write
letters to the editors of our local newspapers, do all sorts of things.
Make sure our events get local and area news comverage...go to schools,
even if it's just so kids can meet dogs.  If you can't put together an
organized program, then just offer your services to the schools...we can
all talk about our breed and our own dogs...go to pre-schools, nursery
schools, play schools, and let the kids get slobbered on by your
4-legged family.
    Proactive...not reactive.  We can't really get the jump on the
ARistas because we never know when bills are coming until they are
there...then we are forced into a reactive position.  Proactive is
always better............
    What else can we do?  If your town has a fair in the summer, get the
local dog clubs, both all breed and specialty, to man a booth there ...
get copies of the literature the AKC will provide and hand it out.  Put
up pictures of dogs doing S&R... pics of the dogs at Ground Zero after
9/11...dogs doing therapy work.  Use your dogs for therapy work....you
can visit hospitals and old folks homes without being certified, and you
sure ought to know how your own dog will behave....and make sure it gets
local newspaper coverage.
    Any other ideas?
Peggy