[ SHOWGSD-L ] Advice

  • From: Mercergsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 22:36:38 EDT

I want to bring up a topic that I am sure many people have dealt with over
the years and would like advice on how to handle this situation.
I have been breeding for about 23 years and feel that I have been a good
breeder that stands behind my puppies and helps my clients. A few years ago I
did
have a situation between a client and myself develop over a puppy that
eventually was taken care of but was complicated and I wont get into it here as
that's not what I am looking for advice on.  The issue I have is another
breeder
that was aware of this situation that only got half of the story and has even
elaborated on the situation herself as time has gone on. I am not sure how to
deal with what this woman is doing. I have had 3+ puppy buyers come to my home
and tell me that this breeder is bad mouthing me, telling people not to buy
puppies from me and so forth.  This breeder has also emailed people telling
them
I was a puppy mill, that I only use my own stud dogs and that I only had "some
champion years ago."  I was insulted by these comments but let them go as it
was petty. I think at one time or another we have all dealt with people saying
things that are not true or trying to harm our reputation or that of a stud
dog or brood bitch. My problem now is that if I have had people come out here
and tell me they are hearing these things from this person how many people have
disregarded me and my kennel that I am not aware of?

After being in the breed for 23 years I have heard things about other
breeders and usually disregard them until I have my own experience with that
person
(and I have heard some doosies that were just WRONG.) I am just stumped by this
person and now angry and frustrated as I do not understand why she keeps bad
mouthing me.

I am not a puppy mill. I do have puppies available throughout the year
because I have a demand for them. I have many clients that send their family
and
friends to me for puppies and after 23 years breeding I have many referrals for
puppies. I use healthy, OFAed breeding stock that I love dearly, no they do not
all live in the house and I think many of us have a similar situation.

Have I produced puppies with health issues?  YES, who in 23 years of breeding
would not have?  This is mother nature we are dealing with not machines and
not even the best breeder on the planet can avoid health issues, I wish we
could. I have always stood behind buyers that have purchased a puppy from me
that
has had something go wrong. It is also not very common which I am very proud
of.

My bloodlines are very good (IMHO.) And I use numerous outside stud dogs so I
do not know why this person is saying what she is saying.  Unless I purchased
the following dogs and just forgot about it:  Alvin, Scoop, Eli, Mojo's Icon
Corbeau, Flash Dance, Indy, Maxima,  Ch Woodhaven's Darth Vader,Ch
Woodhaven's Tall Dk n Handsome, Xtra-Xtra, Patja's Sports Edition I am NOT
always using
my own stud dogs.  I did use my boy Dallas (Mercer's Lonestar v Diamond k OFA
9 points 1 major) often because I loved what he produced and bred him to the
results of the above breedings.  I do not know why I am typing all of this, I
guess because I feel this person has tainted a large amount of people with her
comments. She has also tarnished my Dallas's reputation with past comments.
This dog produced approximately 150 puppies.....4 with health issues, only 4
and the situation I spoke about above was one of them.

My Champion....was Ch Mercer's Dark Illusion OFA.  Why this person belittles
my accomplishment with this bitch I have no idea, most people respect the
time, effort and finances that goes into finishing a dog, especially a solid
black
one.  I loved this dog, she was the light of our eyes and she finished pretty
quickly under very tough competition.  She was my first "real" show dog and
it was a thrill to have her finish as she did.  I do not show like I used to
due to family obligations, my husband fighting cancer and honestly just being
fed up with a lot of things we all are in the sport.  I have had multiple major
winners, reserve placers and dogs with points as well as Futurity placers.  I
also have been through hell since that time of my life and just focus on other
things now. However, make no mistake that I still am very selective about my
breeding program.

What I want to know is what I should do about this breeder? I will be writing
her a letter telling her to cease her negative comments but what have other
people done to combat an issue like this?  It did not have the effect on the
people she wanted it to as they have come here anyway and did purchase puppies
from me and have even commented on the condition of my dogs, their temperaments
and my healthy, vibrant, happy puppies.

I guess I am just getting sick and tired of hearing this from people coming
out to my home and was wondering what imput other people have and if they have
any suggestions on what ways may remedy this matter or even how I should
respond to people coming out to my home that relay these conversations to me?
People can respond privately to my email, any and all responses will be
appreciated.  I may not get right back to you as I am traveling for the next
two weeks
but will respond as soon as I get back.

Thank you for reading this far,

Linda Filipkowski