[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [AZPetLaw] This is why there can be NO compromise on anti-pet laws

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 19:32:00 -0400

-----Original Message-----

PERMISSION TO CROSS POST!

Subject: This is why there can be no compromise, posted to the IRWS list

4a. Licensing facts---long
Posted by: "AvalonKennels@
..." AvalonKennels@...
Date: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:39 pm ((PDT))

I normally never post on this list but since i have actual experience, I am
going to in this case. Colorado was the first and only state to pass
mandatory licensing for breeders. This came about when we were informed
about a
bill that was going to the legislature the following day. No advance notice,
but in those days we weren't as alert as we are now. We all gathered at the
state capitol, dog breeders, cat breeders, small animal breeders, 4-H
Leaders
and their troops, any person who had an animal and was interested in
protecting
their rights to own that animal. The bill requiring mandatory 10 year
moratorium on ALL breeding was defeated. A meeting was held and we decided,
our everlasting regret, that we needed to write a bill we could live with.
We
spent a year writing the Pet Animal Care and Facility Act. A task force
representing 13 different animal groups, was formed. Dog breeders, both
large
scale and small, cat breeders, small animal breeders, bird breeders, animal
welfare officers, veterinarians, Retail stores, wholesale suppliers, general
public, etc. We met for an entire year, and presented a bill into
legislature
calling for licensing and inspections of all these groups. It passed into
law
easily as the entire industry was supporting it. A Pet Animal Advisory
Committee was then formed, with the same representative groups, charged with
writing the rules and regulations to go with the law. I represented the dog
breeders of the state of Colorado for 4 years. Originally, the licensing fee
for
dog breeders was $175, now it is $350. The original number required to be
licensed was 25, then 15, and now it is suppose to go to 12. This is any dog
over the age of 4 months. I have been told the age may also go down to 3
months. No legislative voting, no nothing was required to change portions of
the requirements. Originally, if you worked a normal 9-5 job, you could put
on the application that the inspector could come by appointment. This year,
if you refuse to take off work, to allow them access at any time, you are in
violation, will have hefty fines and could even have your license revoked.
The inspector recently demanded in person and later in writing from a SHOW
breeder, all her AKC records. When she refused, they have threatened to take
her
license away. This is still being argued, so will see how it plays out.
The law only says you have to make all records available to the inspector to
see. Now, they are demanding to take your records with them. Also, at any
inspection, they will not give you the inspection report unless you demand
it.
It is mailed to you later with any petty violations they find. You have no
recourse or ability to argue the unfairness of any violation. The last
inspection I had the inspector said everything was great. But, I got a
report
in
the mail later that I was in violation because I had an opened sack of dog
food on the property. And, because I had an orphan litter of puppies. When I
complained loud and clear, I was told the litter should have been taken to
the vet's, as they had the knowledge and experience necessary to deal with
the
puppies OR I SHOULD HAVE EUTHANIZED THE PUPPIES. I filed a formal complaint
with the Dept. of Agriculture and had a hearing. The open sack of dog food
was dismissed but the other was not. My vet wrote a letter and came to the
hearing and testified as to my ability to raise an orphan litter, no avail.
The inspectors still ruled the vet was better able to care for them. The
inspectors have the right to enter ANY part of your house, garage, kennel,
yard,
etc. where you might maintain, raise, etc. any dog. This means your bedroom
or bathroom if that is where you have any dogs. Quesiton: How many of you
have a dog sleeping by your bed???? How many have puppies born in the
bedroom?
All of the bills being introduced in various states are patterned after the
Colorado bill. During the bill writing process we had great guys in the
Dept.of Agriculture. Now........one has died, one retired, and the other got
promoted out of the dog program. The state vet, the head of PACFA, the
inspectors promote and encourage the Animal Rights propaganda. One inspector
has
even gone so far as to say she would like to see all breeders stopped. The
hen
house is being protected by the fox. Do you want your state to be in the
same position?? Get involved now, don't give in to any of their suggestions.
DON'T ever think you can bargain with them. That is like bargaining with the
Devil. We don't know if it is too late for Colorado, breeders have rallied
and
are fighting for their lives and their rights to own, breed, and show dogs.

Jean Nelson
Avalon Kennels est 1964
Breeder/owner of over 216 champions

----

 Ginger Cleary,Rome, GA  www.rihadin.com
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of
individual liberty have been eroded. F.von Hayek
Member GSDCA
Member Sawnee Mtn Kennel Club
GA Director RDOES.