[ SHOWGSD-L ] ALSO LONG/ Letter of the Law V. Spirit of the Law...long

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "barbmarkh@xxxxxxx" <barbmarkh@xxxxxxx>, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 12:34:30 -0500

Barb and all, Here is the problem as I see. it. For years there has been a
tempest brewing. Some feel they can operate above the rules, some feel the
rules are for all but them. We need not look any further than the public
outrage when it was perceived that because of her position in life, that
Paris Hilton was getting preferential treatment.

  In this sport for quite a long time, there have been rumblings,
complaints of those who want to operate outside the guidelines.Handlers
have broken the rules, judges have allowed them. Ringside has observed it,
we all talked among ourselves about it, some of us stuck with the sport,
others were driven out in frustration. this is why I think the rhetoric is
so strong. Exhibitors are angry, frustrated and it has been building for a
long time. I understand when you say 8days, 4mos, 6mos a year, can a
certain number of days really make that much difference? I was off one day
on the age of a puppy and my points were taken away, so yes in the eyes of
the AKC whether it is one day, or three months and 22 days it makes a
difference. If violating this rule, drives someone away from the sport
because it was perceived that the judge gave preferential treatment to a
handler, then what did we accomplish?  In the AKC's "Code of Sportsmanship"
point 6 states " The sportsman exhibitor declines to enter or exhibit under
a judge where it might REASONABLY appear that the judge's placements could
be based on something other than the merits of the dog." I ask you, if the
catalog shows that the judge co-owns the animal in question and the animal
has been handled by said handler and then said handler shows to the judge
3mos and 22 days after, and also well after the closing date of the event,
what message does that send to all ringside who may not be privy to all the
private business arrangement that have been going on with the co-owners,
handler,such who hired who or what ever?Do you think the AKC is going to
ask to see their contract,check stubs or phone bill or do you think they
will go by the registration of the dog? Also, what reasonable appearance
does this give to all watching and is this beneficial to the sport?

 We need to thank the exhibitor who decided that enough was enough.This
person has more courage than I do, since I have also been witness to this
very thing and didn't act.It is also my understanding that the judge and
handler were both advised not to do this prior to the event and declined
take to the advise Perhaps now handlers and judges alike will understand
that people are watching and we are not idiots. If judges value their
licenses, they need to think long and hard about allowing handlers who have
handled for them within the designated time period to enter their ring.How
the GSDCA chooses to handle this will also send a message. It can either
choose to attempt to sweep this under the rug and further demonstrate that
the rules only apply to some, and further contribute to the possibility of
more people getting disgusted and frustrated an leaving the sport, or they
can deal with it appropriately and if that means forwarding the complaint
on to the AKC to let them deal with it accordingly, then so be it.

 In closing point 8 of the "AKC Code of Sportsmanship states:"The sportsman
RESPECTS the AKC by-laws,rules, regulations and policies governing the
sport of purebred dogs." I think this sums it up pretty well. Christine

hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steve and Christine Grainger
WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM

"Spirit of the Law" -  The 4 month rule is to help people see that the
judge remain impartial - now is a judge impartial at 3 months and 15 days -
or 4 months and 10 days - after all the AKC says at least 4 months - so now
are we talking 4 1/2 months or what?   Also - I doubt that Paul and Jerry
set out to break any rules - The original animal in question I heard is
co-owned in name only with the Roots - the main owner books all the shows
and pays all the bills - so the Roots didn't hire or employ Jerry -
perhaps Paul didn't think it was right to deny Jerry the ability to show at
a "Futurity" - that like a National are different for exhibitors and
handlers (it must be special - they charge us more than usual - right?)
On the front of the entry form - the only place these rules are referrenced
- it says they request adherence - not that one must adhere to the 4 month
rule . . .

> No explaination makes this over 4 months - but perhaps - if we think
about it - it might could soften our retoric on the subject - - after all I
thought the speed limit analogy very similar -

> Question - if this is a santioned match - and all AKC rules are to be
followed - why wasn't the complaint filled at the show and handled by a
Bench Show Committee - like as soon as Jerry walked in the ring the first
time - It clearly says that that is the correct procedure - That would of
ended the question on that day - Now - is it being handled by the ethics
committee?  I heard that everyone had paid the $50.00 - if its the ethics
committee - then why did the Show Chair have the complaints?