[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: ALBUQUERQUE, NM MAYOR INTRODUCES SPAY/NEUTER PLAN

  • From: "Karen Paone" <kbpaone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 22:58:51 -0600

We've not yet seen the Mayor's proposed ordinance.  He has been working
cooperatively with the Rio Grande Kennel Club for approximately 2 years. He
is attempting to address our interests - within the context of a politically
acceptable compromise.

We do know that the mayor's opponent, Councilor Sally Mayes, has proposed
extraordinarily onerous legislation designed to eradicate hobby breeders.
Her legislation includes mandatory spay and neuter for everyone except
licensed breeders or owners of intact animals.  Of course, if you have such
a license, you are subject to search and seizure at the pleasure of Animal
Control Officers.

(1) Permits Required for the Following Businesses, Activities, or Animals. A
Person shall have a Permit for the following businesses, activities, or
Animals:

(A) Animal specific Permits (1) Possession of an Intact Companion Animal (2)
Possession of a Litter or ownership or possession of a pregnant Companion
Animal. (2) Operation of a Multiple Companion Animal Site.

C) Permit holders and applicants agree to allow entry and inspection of the
Permit holder's and applicant's premises by the Mayor with reasonable
notice. Upon presentation of proper identification, and at any reasonable
time, the Mayor shall be allowed to enter any Permitted Premises for the
purpose of making inspections to determine compliance with this Ordinance.
The Person in Charge of the Permitted premises shall be allowed to accompany
the Mayor on his inspection. The Mayor may conduct inspections of the
Permitted Premises without the presence of the person in charge provided
that a competent person over 18 years of age is present. The Mayor shall be
allowed to examine all records pertinent to the origin and care of any
Animals located at, or emanating from any Permitted Premises.

(D) Permit holders shall promptly produce any and all documents pertaining
to medical and ownership records for inspection upon request of the Mayor.
All required documents shall be kept for three years.

So among other things, you open your home for inspection, essentially at any
time.

Yes, I CAN (and I emphasize the "I" - I speak only for myself,) choose to
oppose everything!  Having lived through opposing 20 years of proposed
health care legislation as an executive in the health care
industry;___winning some battles, but losing the war.

Rather, I choose to support those proposals which, though imperfect,
acknowledge the efforts of reputable breeders, breed clubs, obedience clubs,
and the AKC.  No, they're not what I'd like.  I disagree with fundamental
aspects of the proposed legislation, but I'd rather be part of the solution
than simply an obstruction to doing anything.  We DO have children and
adults in Albuquerque regularly being seriously injured and permanently
disfigured by irresponsible dog owners.

Unfortunately, Canine Good Citizen legislation simply doesn't address these
folks.  They don't give a rip!!

Until we have very significant dollars behind us, my choice is to support
the most rational, least oppressive, solution available. My CNMGSDC
colleagues are welcome to share their respective positions.  These are mine.

Karen Paone

Paone & Associates, LLC

Phone:  505-821-9253

Fax:      505-821-9540