[ SHOWGSD-L ] AKC's letter to Oprah (after the show)

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 16:07:10 -0400

 (at least, I THINK they sent this after the show
         Peggy)

RONALD H. MENAKER DENNIS B. SPRUNG
CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD PRESIDENT AND  CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
Ms. Oprah Winfrey April 4, 2008
The Oprah Winfrey  Show
110 N. Carpenter Street
Chicago, IL 60607
Dear Ms.  Winfrey:
Thank you for your informative show today. We are very pleased that  a
renowned dog lover such as you has taken on the issue of unregulated
dog breeders - an issue we work towards addressing on a daily basis.
The  American Kennel Club has always been a strong proponent of
responsible  breeding, which entails giving careful consideration to
health issues,  temperament and genetic screening, as well as to the
individual care and  placement of puppies in responsible homes. AKC
supports and promotes these  and other responsible breeding practices
through numerous educational  programs.
In addition to raising awareness, we have long invested significant
resources to directly address the issue of canine welfare. In 2007,
our  team of 15 inspectors visited over 5,600 kennels throughout the
country. AKC  spends over $6 million each year to inspect our
customers, thereby ensuring  the integrity of our registry and the
proper care and conditions for dogs  registered with us. In fact, of
over 35 U.S. "registries" we are the only  one to conduct inspections,
as well as being the only not-for-profit  all-breed registry in the
nation. AKC is continually raising the bar. When  our inspectors find
kennels that do not meet our progressive standards, they  educate
those breeders. Those not willing to come into compliance are
suspended of their AKC registration privileges and proper authorities
are alerted in cases of neglect.
Unfortunately, there are many breeders  who choose NOT to register
with us specifically because of our high  standards, and once they are
no longer being inspected by the AKC, there is  often very little
oversight from state or federal entities. AKC supports  scrupulous
enforcement of the federal Animal Welfare Act, and state and  local
regulations governing the humane care of animals. We also voice
support for more resources to be allotted to the USDA and other
enforcement agencies to ensure that current regulations are met.
AKC's  5,000 affiliated clubs nationwide are comprised of people who
dedicate their  lives - emotionally and financially - to improving
their breeds and to  providing healthy, happy pets. We would like to
work with you to further  educate the American public about how to
identify a responsible breeder and  hope you will call on us when
addressing this topic in the future.
Again,  thank you for raising awareness of this important issue. Your
support is  invaluable to all dogs and their devoted owners.
Sincerely,
Ronald H.  Menaker Dennis B. Sprung
Chairman of the Board President and  CEO