[ SHOWGSD-L ] AKC<>North Carolina

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: freelist shepherd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 20:42:55 -0700

Friday, July 24, 2009]
Senate Bill 460, a bill that seeks to unnecessarily regulate the
operations of dog breeders in North Carolina remains under
consideration in the state Senate. The AKC believes the bill is likely
to be scheduled for consideration by the full Senate as early as next
Tuesday. With your help and participation over the next several days,
we can prevent this bill from passing the Senate, and we can kill this
bill for the remainder of the year.
The American Kennel Club and the North Carolina Federation of Dog
Clubs continue to oppose SB 460. The state Department of Agriculture
does not support this bill. Your Senators need to hear that you, their
constituents, also oppose this bill.

We have already made a difference. Thanks to the calls and letters
that you sent to North Carolina Senators early this month, the Senate
delayed voting on the bill on July 8. We are now approaching the end
of the session, and it is imperative that we send the message once
again that responsible dog owners and breeders oppose this onerous,
unnecessary, and expensive legislation.

Problematic provisions of SB 460 include the following:

Vague definition of "commercial breeder". Commercial breeder" is
defined as someone who owns 15 or more intact females "of breeding
age" and 30 or more puppies." It is unclear if these numbers refer to
the number of dogs on the property at one time, or if this is
cumulative over the course of a year. The bill makes a special
exception for some kennels or establishments that operate for the
purpose of boarding or training certain dogs. However, it is unclear
if breeders who also train and sell puppies are exempt from the
licensing requirement.
Inspections of private property at any time. The bill allows law
enforcement and local animal control to search the homes and private
property at any time of day or night of anyone who falls under the
definition of "commercial breeder".
Allowing for seizure of animals for those who do not comply with the
new regulations?with no opportunity to come into compliance. If a
commercial breeder is unlicensed, animals will be subject to immediate
seizure and impoundment and may be sold or euthanized. The AKC
believes that breeders should be given the opportunity to come into
compliance with the law.
Directive for the NC Department of Agriculture to develop standards of
care with no public input. SB 460 calls for the Department of
Agriculture to develop care and condition policies for dogs belonging
to commercial breeders. This does not allow for any input from dog
breeders and others who are experts in animal care.
Senate Bill 460 will do nothing to address irresponsible breeding,
consumer protection, or cruelty/negligence, but it will cost the state
over $400,000 a year to enforce. At a time when our state is facing a
projected $4 billion budget gap, enforcement of existing laws would be
a better use of taxpayers? money.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:
Contact your Senators, identify yourself as a constituent (tell them
the town you live in), tell them you oppose SB 460, and respectfully
urge them to also oppose this bill. We ask that should you decide to e-
mail, you also call their offices.

See links below for assistance in contacting your Senator.

To find your Senator, visit the North Carolina General Assembly web
site and type your zip code in the "Who Represents Me?" box on the
right side of the page.

View basic phone scripts for breeders and fanciers.

Click here for a sample letter to personalize.

For more information, contact AKC?s Government Relations Department at
(919) 816-3720, or e-mail doglaw@xxxxxxxx