[ SHOWGSD-L ] AKC ( long), buy from a breeder

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx, Amytortoise@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:17:18 EDT

In a message dated 9/12/2006 8:42:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Meanwhile, whatever happened to
the old slogan "Buy from a  breeder"         guess AKC  forgot.

I was 7 when my mother gave in to my nagging for a puppy.  We went to
Doctor's Pet Shop, picked out a puppy, and yes, it came with an AKC
registration
slip.  My father made us take it back, so that's a non issue.  My  point is
even
a lot of years ago, puppies came from pet shops with  "papers".

About a year ago, there was an article in the front part of the Gazette
about there not being enough puppies, the demand exceeding the supply, offering

suggestions for placing bitches w/ co-owners, mentoring new people etc.  I
don't keep magazines, so I can't tell you what issue, but I remember commenting

on it at the time.

I know you've told us Peggy in certain areas of the country, people can't
sell puppies.  Boy, that's not the case for GSDs in the Northeast.  We  have
MANY more super homes waiting for puppies  than we have folks with  puppies. (I
can only comment on GSD puppies...wouldn't know about the other  breeds.)
Here's proof; on our regional club web site, no litters  listed.  Why?  Because
the pups that may be available from a  particular litter are spoken for before
the bitch whelps!

Still, it's a great big time commitment.  I work from home for myself,  and
EVEN THEN my work is turned up-side-down when a bitch needs to be bred,
puppies whelped, raised, folks coming to visit, etc., etc.,...so much so that
unless it's a darned nice bitch, a breeding I'm excited about AND I or a
co-owner
plan to keep a puppy, there isn't going to be a breeding.  I have  no idea how
someone with a 9-5 job and a family to raise fits in vet trips,  progesterone
timing trips, is available to watch the bitch so that she doesn't  whelp
alone, feeds puppies 3-4x a day, socializes/grooms/cares for babies,  etc.  As
far
as placing a nice bitch with someone, maybe doing a  co-ownership for
puppies...not interested.

So, the problem as I see it is that companion people whose arms are empty
and/or are dealing with children who have lost a much loved pet are going  to
do
whatever they can to obtain that puppy.  I'm queasy about the AKC  having a
contract with a pet shop, I really am.  Unless breeders start  producing enough
to meet the demand though, (and I'm sure not, I can promise  you, I just
skipped not 1 but 2 CH/OFA'd bitches), I don't have a solution for  where
people
can get the puppies they so desperately want (we've all taken those  phone
calls!).  You can tell they all day long to buy from a breeder, but  if there
aren't any available, then what?

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_