[ SHOWGSD-L ] AKC fees/ & failing majors

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bedkar@xxxxx>, <pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, "Lee Brown" <lebrowngsd@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 10:22:40 -0700

Off the topic.........but read Kay's post below.
<G>
Some of our Specialty Clubs that are failing with falling entries need to pay
attention to this
kind of venue that Kay mentioned below.
We need to start combining our shows........with four Specialty weekends of two
shows per
day .....or combine them with other shows....even All Breed shows as Kay states
below.
At the price of gas and current economy and our own advancing
ages.....Exhibitors are getting tired
of burning up the freeways every couple of weekends to go to shows in the same
area for one show
one day and  one show another day and they aren't even majors.....then make the
same drive later
in the year for the same two shows and small entries and pay the expenses for
themselves and the
handlers all over again.......TWICE.    Small entries drug out to take all
day.......
In California alone there are about 14 specialty shows spread out through the
show season from
January till October........and it's a long drive from one end of the State to
the other.
Combing them would cut it to about 6 or 7 weekends of driving and expenses!!
Shows are often put on by two different clubs....one on Saturday and one on
Sunday.   Most are
dwindling to two points and Club members are having to enter dogs they normally
would not.
THEN.....these same two Clubs put on another show six months later....one on
Saturday and one
on Sunday.....barely starting out as majors and failing as majors by the time
the show is over.   It's
hardly worth the effort and expense to bring out judges ....and work all
weekend and hardly worth the
drive for exhibitors!!

WHY these same Clubs that work together all weekend to cause Exhibitors to make
two long drives
for small entries instead of combining them into ONE weekend is beyond my
understanding.
It's one Park Fee...one catalog....one show weekend for Club members to work
on....one Premium
List....one weekend of picking up Judges.....one weekend of setting up and
taking down show equip.
and LESS competition for good show weekends with other Specialty Shows,  All
Breed Shows, Futurities
and other show weekends elsewhere.....and even more judges available with less
weekends taken!
Thats for the Clubs themselves.
For Exhibitors that support the shows...
It's ONE long drive,  ONE weekend of paying expenses for handlers,  ONE weekend
of gas and motel
expenses for themselves,   ONE less weekend spent on the road and FOUR judges
to choose from or
all four to exhibit under......and a LOT BETTER CHANCE of pulling majors as it
should bring in more
exhibitors since they don't have the same shows and clubs six months later that
won't have a big enough
entry to make it worth their drive.    HALF the time on the road.... HALF the
expenses...bigger entries and
cuts in half their handler expenses and the handlers are freed up for other
shows....and make the same
amount as it's the same amount of shows.....just less expense for the dog
owners.

See what Kay mentions.........FOUR All Breed Shows and TWO Specialties.....ONE
Drive and location.
Time to start thinking outside the box!!!     Oregon has.....

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com