[ SHOWGSD-L ] AKC facts compared to our National (616 down to 380)

  • From: Linda Bankhead <lindabankhead44@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 09:14:47 -0400

I have not been on the list; I tuned in to keep an eye on The Canadian
National results.  I have been reading the recent posts on the GSDCA
National entries.
 According to Lisa Forman in this month’s Canine Chronicle; here are some
interesting facts:  (Lisa is the guru on AKC Revenues)

·
56.7 million households own a dog, there are 83.3 million dogs in The US,
and less than 1 % is registered with the AKC. (.53 to be exact)

·         Owner handled entries in the sport of conformation compromise 80%
of the total entries. (I will argue 100% that this does not hold true in
The GSD Ring; we are probably the exact opposite and a handler driven
sport!)

·         AKC CFO reported 2012 registrations were down 10.6% (AKC no
longer shares data on litter and dog registrations since 2010; but also AKC
reported that 2011 registration revenue was $2 million or 8% less than
2010.)   Do the math!

·         AKC increased revenue; due to an increase in process to register.
Completive events entries were almost positive in 2012, conformation events
on the decline, and companion events are almost now equal to conformation
show entries. In 2012 agility surged 11%, Rally down 8.5%, Lure coursing a
31% increase, herding trials and hunting tests also increased.

·         In 2012 All Breed conformation events declined 1.5% or 22,300 and
specialty events were down 3,600 entries. Grand Champion Breed introduction
in 2010 boosted entries by 40,000 (2012 is unknown).

·         All told, 2012 companion events totaled 1,368,164 entries (just
207,553 shy of overtaking conformation which equals 25 entries per show in
2013).

·         In a 6 year overview; 2006 to 2012: conformation entries have
declined 17.5 percent.  GSD ENTRIES HAVE DECLINED CONSIDERABLY MORE in the
SAME 6 YEAR PERIOD.

IF OUR GSDCA NATIONAL CONFORMATION ENTRY WAS 616 in  2009 and 380 IN 2013;
we have far exceeded the AKC average over 6 years at 17.5%.  Blaming the
economy is a stretch!  And putting the blame on lawsuits is IMO completely
ridiculous.

Hope I did not bore everyone; I like to look at the facts.

Linda Bankhead