[ SHOWGSD-L ] AKC changed its mind.............

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <GSDCALegislative@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:23:47 -0400

Please wait until I finish laughing, and then read the info below.  AKC has
decided to resume its original position and "vigourously oppose" AB 1634.
This comes direct from   Charles Kneifel cxk@xxxxxxx
  he obviously has something to do with legislation at AKC.but who cares.
   Just goes to show what a great hue and cry can do...
we stopped (for a while, anyway) Petland, and now this...
  Peggy

AKC URGENT ALERT: CA AB 1634 to Change - AKC Vigorously Opposes!

[Thursday, August 21, 2008]

Late yesterday we received a proposed 12th amendment to the wording
of CA AB 1634 which Lloyd Levine's staff presented to our lobbyist.
Also, we understand that Mr. Levine attempted to amend his bill in
the Senate, in spite of the fact that he had assured the AKC through
our lobbyist that the bill was in its final form. As a result of this
last minute attempt, we no longer have confidence in the definition
of this bill or the credibility of its author.

The AKC is outraged and dismayed by Mr. Levine's last minute action
to remove the incentives that were put in place to recognize
responsible dog ownership. The new amendment will allow local
government to avoid providing discounted licenses for owners who
microchip, or owners who microchip and spay/neuter, their animals.

A primary reason AKC moved to a neutral position was because it
reinforced and rewarded responsible behavior. We believe the process
to advance this bill is no longer being conducted in a forthright and
transparent manner. Given Mr. Levine's recent tactics and the fact
that we no longer feel confident that an acceptable bill will be
produced, a neutral position is no longer appropriate. Therefore, AKC
must vigorously oppose this legislation.

Please immediately call and email your State Senator (click here -
http://www.legislature.ca.gov/port-zipsearch.html  to find out who
represents you in the State Senate) and ask them to oppose AB 1634.

For more information, contact AKC's Government Relations Department
at (919) 816-3720, or e-mail doglaw@xxxxxxxx