[ SHOWGSD-L ] ADMIN WARNING - Promotion and Advertising

  • From: Margery Golant <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:46:24 -0500

Listers,

Promoting a dog means mentioning the dog by name, telling people how great
he/she is, how well he is producing, how many breedings he is getting, how such
and such dog would go well with X lines, etc. etc.  Promoting a handler means
mentioning the handler by name, telling people how great he/she is, how well
they have done with your dogs or others, how well they condition, maintain,
etc.  Promoting a product or service means mentioning the product or service by
name in which you have an interest, telling people how well it works, how
beautiful it is, etc.  "Having an interest" includes such posts by friends,
clients, family members.

This is against the rules of Showgsd-l.  Such posting is equally against the
rules, and is applicable to dogs whether the dogs in question are American,
Canadian or German.  We do specifically allow brags and litter announcements by
the owners, breeders, co-owners, sire owners, etc., so long as they are factual
and not filled with self-promotion, but that is different than what we are
seeing recently on the List.

It is difficult to tell if people who are doing this don't realize that posts
of that sort are considered promotional, or if they know and don't care.  We
generally try to warn List members they are breaking the rules before
restricting their posting privileges.  Recently there have been so many of
these that it has become difficult to impossible to contact everyone privately,
and, since the rest of the List doesn't realize those posts violate the rules,
they lead to more and more of the same.

So, this is a general warning to all List members.  Promotion and advertising
are against our rules.  We have been swamped with complaints by List members
regarding these.  Any further promotion of dogs, handlers, products, services
or other commercial interests may result in administrative action without
further warning.  If someone asks you a question about your dog, your handling,
your product, it is an easy matter to reply privately, and it is what is
expected on the List.

If you are unsure whether a particular post would violate the rules, we will be
happy to look at it in advance and to let you know whether it violates the
rules or not.

The Showgsd-l Administration
admin@xxxxxxxxxxx