[ SHOWGSD-L ] A week-end in New Hampshire and a futurity brag!

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 20:47:47 -0400

I always loved the New England area and have been to most of it's
states, but this past week-end was my first time to New Hampshire.  It's
a lovely little state, not much different from where I live in upstate
New York......lots of mountains and greenery everywhere you look.  I had
to laugh because on most of the local roads you'd see signs saying
"Moose crossing!"  Moose???  I didn't even know they had moose in New
Hampshire!  Goes to show you how much I know.  One thing I can tell you
that they have a lot of is..........police cars!!!  Practically every
road I drove on there was a police car cruising looking for a traffic
violator.  And may I tell you about those speed signs.  First it tells
you the limit is 45mph, then it's 55mph, then back to 45mph, and now
we're coming up to 30mph.............and all this in a matter of a
couple of miles.  Forget about using cruise control on these roads.  But
the people............the people were just marvelous.  They were so
friendly and helpful that I thought I was back in the southern states
again.  The weather was hot, hot, hot and I ran in to a hail storm on
the way back to the hotel with the hail the size of ping pong balls.  It
rained so hard that I had to sit in the car in the parking lot of the
hotel for an hour.  Honest!

The night before the futurity, about 40 of us "die hard" Shepherd
fanciers went to a "surprise" birthday party for Danny Dwier's lovely
wife, Carol.  What a riot!  Can you just imagine what that section of
the restaurant sounded like with the shenanigan's of Mr. National
Specialty judge himself......Ed Barrett throwing dinner rolls across a
very long table and hitting Dan Smith in the head?  Now I ask you is
this the kind of judge we want representing us at this years National?!
hehehe!  I must say he did give Carol a very beautiful gift of a bag of
Serenity panties.  This is one thoughtful guy!  Just wait until he gets
that old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Sandwiched on the other side of this group was
the futurity judge, Linda Bankhead and her equally lovely mother Mrs.
Joan Fox.  Lee and her husband Ed were there, sitting across from myself
and the Smith's, then there was Trish and her dad Dean, Georgie, the
Vaughts, the Trocki's, Becky and several others that I'm forgetting
right now........I'm overly tired.  When Linda Bankhead started talking
about one of her bitches she owns (I believe she said she was out of a
German bitch) and all the great things she does with her, like skiing
and talking about her marvelous mind, I knew she would push the
temperament test the next day.  I was right..................so on to
the next day and the futurity.

Another very hot day.  What made it better was that many of the above
named people and myself (not the judge or her mother) invited ourselves
under a generous souls tent.  At last some shade.  When I watched Linda
do her temperament test, I must say that I NEVER seen any judge push
temperament as much as she did.  She knew what she was looking for and
she was determined to get it...........HER WAY!  She asked ringside, not
to call or make any noises (as in double handling) when she tested each
dogs temperament.  If she didn't get what she asked for, she'd stop, and
turn around and look for the guilty parties.  Then she'd test the dog
looking the other way if she had to.  She tested each dog for
temperament at least three times.  She later said she wanted to see the
dog look her in the eye.  She had complete and total control of her
ring.  She wasted no unnecessary time.  She knew how hot it was on
everyone and their dogs and tried to move things right along by taking
the pictures right after each class.  She took a very small break.  I
must say, she is a "Class Act."  She handled herself like a real
lady......refreshing to see!

Oh yeah.......about my little futurity brag.  Linda gave my bitch
"Chieftain's Bewitching" second teenage bitch.  It was doubly rewarding
for several reasons.  First of all she was second to the bitch who went
Best Opposite in the Futurity.  Secondly, she was in season and out of
coat.  Also she has very little experience in the ring and lastly, I was
blown away by the ringside support......and I didn't even have to bribe
them!  Thank you very much!  I am very happy with my special girl coming
from a excellent quality class.  I want to thank Linda for this win and
yes, you are right..........she is a very stubborn bitch!  I also want
to thank Marilyn Smith for her beautiful grooming job with very little
coat to work with.  A very special thank you goes out to her handler
Trish Wylie who has so much patience with my little "live wire!"  I am
most appreciative for "Bu's" mother, my number one girl, "Amber's Strike
a Pose" who only has had two puppies so far from her first litter.  If
all goes well, I have a beautiful breeding planned for her next litter.
And to "Bu's" dad, the moving machine "Emmett", you did good my boy!

Congratulations to all the winners and also to all the breeders who
showed their lovely animals.  Best wishes,  Barbara

Barbara J. Galasso
CHIEFTAINS GERMAN SHEPHERDS
Visit my website at http://chieftainsgermanshepherds.com